Sunday 23 February 2014

Another Saturday another superb shop ride

Led by the industrial language of splendid Steve Major we enjoyed another C&DCYCLES Saturday shop ride taking in the delights of East Northants. Some good Strava segments on this including one of my least favourite hills out of Thrapston. I got a PR on that slope so I think I may be starting to win that battle!

Monuments and bits of history grabbed my attention yesterday. The Finedon war Memorial was first thing that caught my eye http://www.finedonphotographs.org.uk/warmemorial.html with it's side inscription of 'ENJOYMENT' which I thought was a bit odd and the more appropriately 'COURAGE' on the front. Then we passed the 'Waterloo Round House,' which has a rather interesting history http://www.burtonlatimer.info/property/unique-round-house.html . The next thing I noticed was the war memorial at Denford, https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/108946 much more serious with it's 'COUNTRY, SACRIFICE, HONOUR AND ENDURANCE,' inscription.
(ps Steve I hate that lumpy bit of road from Denford to Thrapston.)
Then through Twywell we passed the Toll Cottage which, apart from a mention in a toll or turnpike database I can find nothing of interest about. I guess the thing that struck me was we would have paid to go through Twywell on our penny farthings.

Anyway a great ride and a most welcome slice of cake at the shop at the end.


Great turnout as usual

This is the view of Rushton on my way home to show what a beautiful day it was

Splendid cake at the shop

No comments:

Post a Comment