Sunday 23 November 2014

Steve's 'sharp as a tennis ball' Soggy Sunday Slipathon!

The sign made famous by the inbetweeners and most apt today, to be out in this you had to be a...





Well we knew it might be bad this morning as the forecast was terrible but the real decider on a deluge was the fact that the despicably hideous nincompoop Neil Hickford decided not to ride with us! The plan was for a quick 50 and as usual on a Sunday the route only existed in Steve's head. It wasn't quite the massive group we had on remembrance Sunday but there was still a healthy sized group of weather hardy lycra loonies. What's more they are a great bunch and as usual the banter, filth and fast show quotes flowed. Big shout to Rob Campbell for bring the Jelly Babies and as agreed I won't mention your backpack as a result!

Backpack backpack...


So we set off. Steve took us up the climb from Gypsy Lane to Great Cransley. It's hard enough on a dry day but the roads were already more puddle than tarmac. From Cransley we headed to Broughton, through Orlingbury and then onto Harrowden. I have no idea why but I decided to have a crack at segment chasing and steamed into the Lamby Dodger which takes you to the roundabout at Harrowden. Predictably I didn't make a dent on my PR but I'm happy with a second best time in the wet. From there we headed towards Sywell and then off to Wilby then down Cut Throat Lane off to Woolaston then Irchester through Wellingborough at the embankment then Finedon, Burton past Weetabix, Polwell Lane, Wickies and back to the shop.



Even though we were there earlier than usual Chris got the kettle on and we mopped up the last of the Guinness cake - thanks again magnificent wife. I wasn't happy with my pathetic rear light, a bit of a Halfords special from a time when I lacked enlightenment. So I purchased a cracking knog blinder. Now my rear end is well illuminated to match the one23 supernova on the front.



Stopping at the shop, no matter how welcome was a bit of a schoolboy error. Putting my helmet and gloves back on was horrible. By the time I was on the bike I was shivering to bits and it was quite an uncomfortable 20 minutes back to my home. Having made the mistake before I made sure I was fully warm before I got in the shower, it can be painful and the key is to wait until your bits and bobs get back to their normal size! However it was time to forget about my sporting endeavors and concentrate on my heroes.




So back at the house I did a quick tidy and got the soup on the go. Lee and Sam got in and a very muddy supersam told me he scored a try - good lad, he's a hero too. Rich popped round to pick up his Guinness cupcakes and as he's a good lad he brought Lee some pink wine - girls like that sort of thing! I had the telly on and the sky sports app on the ipad so I could watch both Saracens v Saints - Come on you Saints and the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - come on Lewis! No one let me down and the champions put the fez heads in their place and Hamilton is the F1 World Champion.



Right that will do, the poor dogs have been waiting for me to take them out since I got up at 5 (it was way too exciting a day to waste in bed!)

Happy Pedalling

No comments:

Post a Comment