Sunday 1 August 2021

A week of real reflection

It’s the format I’ve been using since March, firstly I’ll do an update on Lee and her lengthy COVID-19 recovery and then I’ll switch to my cycling blog. 


We’ve kind of had a quiet week that got a bit stressy towards the end. Lee hasn’t really changed much. She’s still really tired and after a bit of activity her whole body gets sore. It’s fair to say she’s fed up of it all! During the week, our daughter Níamh, had a few days away in Brighton with friends. On the way back they all did a lateral flow test and one of her friends was positive. A further PCR test confirmed the lateral flow result. Níamh was naturally very worried and went for a PCR herself. After a nervy 24 hours this came back negative. For me this brought my own well-being into sharp focus. Mostly I’m okay but it only takes a little pressure either at work or at home to derail me. In short I’m not coping as well as I think I am. On Friday before we got the result back I was really struggling. It's difficult to explain,  just everything was winding me up! Tomorrow I’m speaking to occupational health at work because it would be foolish not to get some help. I’m sharing this in my blog because I firmly believe: “it’s okay to not be okay!” I hope it might also help someone else seek help. So in a week where sportstars such as Simone Biles and Ben Stokes have announced they are prioritising their mental health…so am I. Bringing this back to Lee, who remains the priority, she’s worried about me and that really can’t help her recovery. We were also hoping to get some progress from the respiratory team this week, however the appointment didn't happen and has been rearranged for a few weeks time. This is one of the most frustrating aspects as we're waiting for a medical opinion!!!

Changing to my activity, I've had a quiet week. On Monday I coached the Cyclones but didn't ride in. We had a good session with the kids involving tight cornering on a grass oval.

In the week I tried to do a rollers session on Wednesday but frustratingly my speed sensor needed a new battery and as ever you can't find a C2032 when you need one. Lee was super helpful though and amazon delivered 4 the next day. On Thursday I did the toad in a hole rollers session and then my wahoo got confused, lost my 10 miles and uploaded the 0.2 miles from the day before! All cyclists hate upload fails!!!

I decided not to ride with Cyclasylum on Saturday morning based purely on time. I love the long group rides but with time feeling pressured I didn't want to be out all morning. Its now part of the routine to do the big shop with Lee on a Saturday afternoon. That helps her a bit because a wander round Tescos is a bit of a workout in her long covid/post ICU condition. So much as I hate shopping on a Saturday afternoon, it's good for the Queen of Cakes! Instead of a group ride, I took Charity to Market Harborough parkrun which we both enjoyed. She's a special dog and despite having 18 months off she slipped straight back into the Parkrun routine.

This morning I awoke to the news that the Desborough Greenspace Junior Parkrun needed a Run Director at short notice and I jumped at the chance. So at 7.30am I was walking the course as my first duty. Because the core team is so great, everything just went to plan and 53 kids enjoyed a good run. They're lucky I got the timing right because on the course walk I was very distracted by this cute bunny!

So this afternoon I finally got a bike ride in!


This route is one of my favourite training rides. It's got good fast sections and a decent hill. The other thing is that this route is stuffed full of history due to starting in Rothwell, passing through Kelmarsh and having Naesby as a turning point!

Next week I'm determined to do as much as possible. The #WeActiveChallenge has started and #NursesActive need to beat #AHPsactive again!

I hope everyone is enjoying the Olympics as much as I am. Tom Pidcock's gold medal in the MTB XC was phenomenal. You could argue that MVDP's crash meant he lost his main rival but as Gino D'Campo once said: If my grandma had wheels she'd be a bike. In the women's event the Swiss ladies dominated but who cares? Evie Richards in 7th just embodies the spirit of cycling. Ride - smile - eat - sleep - repeat! One discipline of cycling I'm not into is BMX...seeing the fantastic results makes me feel like I've missed out. The racing and the freestyle results were brilliant. Even better the BMX team trained at Corby's Adrenaline Alley, just a few miles from my house. It's great to know that there's a world class facility near by where inspired youngsters could go and try the sport!

If you haven't seen the BMX freestyle check out this link. BMX 360 backflip: The trick that secured Charlotte Worthington Team GB gold BBC SPORT


Happy Pedalling!

No comments:

Post a Comment