Sunday 8 August 2021

Positive Pants Back On!

After my little wobble last week it's back to a more positive frame of mind. The blog will as usual, start with Lee's update and then switch to my cycling stuff.


For Lee some stuff is coming back. She's called the Queen of cakes because she's good at cakes. Her baking interest has been largely missing in her recovery but this week it has definitely returned. On Wednesday she made a lovely Lime & Coconut cake. This was for the visit of Ali who is a friend and close colleague.


Ali has been through a similar rough ride to Lee although not Covid19 related. We are really missing her at work. I know she enjoyed this cuddle with Charity and by all accounts I'm lucky our black goldador wasn't smuggled back to Ali's house. I think this visit was good for both Lee and Ali.


I had planned to go out on my bike that evening but Lee hadn't been for a walk so we took the dogs out together. A steady stroll of just under a mile had no effect on my heart rate. For Lee it involves taking a drink, having a sit down and by the time we get back she's exhausted. I know it frustrates her that she can't do more. For me, I was happy to go for a walk with Lee. I miss out on that whilst I'm at work. 

Lee has also been creative. This beer bottle top table is covered in clear expoxy resin for a really nice finish. Obviously my contribution was to provide a good variety of bottle tops, some great beers represented, a few 13s because it's our lucky number and I want to make it clear, I did not supply the corona tops!

A good summary of the week would be: no dramas, no hospital appointments, some good times along the way.


To cycling. On Monday I ran a hill training session for the cyclones assisted by Charlie Stockham. Also joining us was fellow coach John Taylor-Burt and parent Gary Carter. The kids were all competent riders (a word here which means: "way better than I ever was!") So we went on a bit of a 'ride out hill hunt!' It was a good session where we all got a good workout. My goodness those kids were quick on the hills!!!


I returned home to a fantastic dinner of Californian lime grilled fish (it was hake but you can use a variety of white fish.) Lee has really got stuck into making fish dishes having craved fish during her recovery. We have a lot of interesting  food because we both enjoy cooking. I've almost considered starting another blog: "what the Lindsleys ate!" I like finding new recipes and this week I discovered Sweet potato and courgette Spanish tortilla. On Saturday I made my usual sausage rolls, baked foccacia and we had some teamwork to make a nice lasagne. Why can't I lose weight again?

It's "active August," for the #wenurses community. So in my usual way I've upped my activity. Some of you will wonder how? Others will say it's about time! I've made sure I do pilates and strength work, done more rollers sessions and added a lunch time walk at work. All of this is to encourage others to be more active and most importantly to make sure that the nurses beat all of the other health professionals! With all that in mind the arrival of my NHS cycling Jersey was well timed!


On Saturday I couldn't decide whether to go to parkrun or go for a group ride. Eventually I decided I needed to see my cycling mates in the Cyclasylum.


This was a good decision because it was a great ride. I opted not to join them for an entire 100km fondo based on time. Lee and I do the weekly shop together on a Saturday afternoon. I would never have agreed to this pre Covid19 but now its another part of her recovery. So I wanted to be back in time to get Tescos done, do a bit around the house and then settle down to watch a bit of sport!

This was a nice route heading out of K Town to Geddington, then onto Great Oakley, Pipewell, Desborough and Braybrooke. At Braybrooke we went up one of the hills from the Monday night hill training and then onto the only one the kids didn't do into Harrington. We then headed to Lamport, onto Old and the Walgrave before I said my goodbyes and turned for home. 

Today I checked Strava and realised that for the first week this year I could achieve my 3 weekly goals: 15 miles walking, 7 miles running and 100 miles cycling. So I hatched a plan to start with a dog walk. 

I was down to be a Marshall at Parkrun so I knew I'd get my last mile walking in on the course...then I arrived and Will the RD asked me to scan so I had to pace around a bit to get the steps in!


After parkrun I changed out of my wet kit,  put cycling kit in and went for a ride. I didn't really care about speed or my average I just wanted at least 12 enjoyable miles. It was windy, the rain lashed down and I cycled on with a broad grin! 

Wonky helmet and glasses, stupid big grin!!!

Yeah it was soggy out!

So I got home, changed out of my wet kit, got my running kit on and went for a run! It was just a plod really but I loved this too!

selfies are in reverse!!!

Mission accomplished. I'm going to try to keep this up throughout August to see what difference it makes!

How good was the Olympics? This week it's been all about the track cycling. At this point I have say how pleased I am for my great cycling mate Andy Pendred and his son Sam. Sam is part of the design team for the Hope Lotus British Cycling track bike. How great must it be to say you've designed a Gold medal 🏅 winning bike? I've never tried track cycling but every time I watch I want to have a go. Great racing, great results, I love it. Now I'm looking forward to the paralympics!!!

For Sam and Andy here's a reminder from Christmas 2019 and 2018.


2019 Andy persuades Sam to fall over in lots of puddles! This ride included the greatest video that never was. I thought I was videoing Sam as he fell over in a puddle only to press start when it was all over. Oh well at least we can remember how much we laughed!!!


2018 terrible photo but here Andy tricked Sam into riding in full winter kit plus a santa suit! He was boiling!!!

On youtube this week I've been watching  The Vegan Cyclist Don't be put off by the name, it's not all about cycling on a vegan diet. It started with the impossible route. A really good watch and due to that I watched a few more. I like his style of cycling and how he describes the mental side of the sport. Definitely my sort of thing!

If you read this far, thank you! I can't imagine I'll have this much to write about this week. I've loved all the things I've done and I've enjoyed writing about it too.

Happy Pedalling 

No comments:

Post a Comment