Sunday 29 August 2021

Smashing week off!

With 11 days off work there's plenty of acitivity this week and a lot of Lee update too! 

This lovely thank you card came to us from Katy Dynes. If you're interested in her stuff you can see more here Kitty Dinners Illustration

After a quiet Monday, our friend Sandra came to visit on Tuesday. In preparation our house became an episode of bake off. 

quiche

trifle 

marmite sausage rolls

chocolate courgette cake

On Wednesday Lee and I had a lovely adventure in the Peak District. Firstly we went to Parsley Hay Cycle Hire Centre to pick up a Huka Duet Wheelchair bike.

This magnificent contraption was so much fun and enabled Lee and I to go for a bike ride together. 

As you can imagine, a bike twice the weight I normally ride plus another person sat on the front is neither maneuverable or easy to ride. The 12 miles at 7mph were some of the hardest I've ever ridden and at the end I was soaked in sweat. However every drip was worth it's weight in gold because Lee absolutely loved it!

The Tissington trail is perfect for this type of riding and it was great to see it being used by families as intended. I'd like to try the other trails in the area too and have found a 76 mile route taking in the Monsal, High Peak and Tissington trails. 

After that we went to Bakewell for some lunch and to buy a variety of tart products. We had to park on the edge of town so Lee had a longer walk than planned. It was nice though. After that we did a drive through of the Chatsworth House before heading home. The day really took it out of Lee and she struggled to get from the car to our house when we got home. However she thought it was worth it too!


On Thursday we finally got to use the vouchers for Beckworth Emporium. 


The eating out didn't stop for Lee as she was taken out on Friday by Cousin Sam and Angela. They took this picture especially for the blog!


So all of this would lead you to think that Lee is having a lovely time. In a lot of ways she is. However this week she's been even more tired. She is also sore and achy all over. Some blood tests have revealed part of the answer as her iron and folic acid levels are low! At times this week Lee has really struggled to stand up and she ran out of energy ironing a dress! The long slow recovery continues!!!

Time to switch to the cycling bit. 


On Monday we took the Cyclones for some hill training. The venue was the infamous Neville Holt. We did the hill from Drayton, then from Medbourne and finally we went round to Great Easton and up the Devil's Staircase. All very good training on a lovely summer evening. I rode there and back for 34 bonus Monday miles.

On Friday night I plucked up the courage to enter a Friday Night Summer Series mountain bike race. I put this off all summer and then decided to go for it. 


I absolutely loved it! My aim as ever was not to come last! I made that in the V50 category by just one rider but I'm more pleased than that. My secondary aim is to get as many laps as the majority of riders achieve. The top riders in each group managed 6 laps, I managed 5 so I'm happy with that! It's also inspired me to enter the Leicestershire cyclocross league. 

thanks to Liz Bird for the pictures 

With very heavy legs on Saturday morning,  I joined my good friends from the Cyclasylum for a group ride. Ten of us set out from K Town swimming pool for 40 ish miles of good riding, banter and setting the world to rights!

This was an incident free ride out to Tilbrook until Richard G got stung under the eye by a wasp! Luckily he's not allergic but it's still not a nice thing to happen!


By the time I got home I'd done 57 miles for a weekly distance of 119 miles! All good for the #NHS1000miles and #NursesActive challenges!

Today it was junior parkrun as usual and I did my best not to mess up as run director. We were low on kids today, probably due to the bank holiday. By contrast we had so many volunteers we ran out of hi vis jackets! As this week's RD, that makes me very grateful!!!

In other news the Vuelta continues, we've had the MTB World Championships and The Paralympics is a great watch! My highlights this week were the fabulous Evie Richards winning the Rainbow 🌈 bands and The GB Wheelchair Rugby Team taking gold. 


No comments:

Post a Comment