Sunday 25 July 2021

sizzling hot week and local adventures



Usual format, Lee update, then cycling and other bits!

There's a chance you're new to my blog so here's a whistle-stop tour of our Covid19 experience. On the 30th of December 2020 Covid came to our house. This was serious because my wife, Lee aka the Queen of Cakes has severe asthma. On January the 11th Lee went to hospital in respiratory distress, she initially improved and the seriously deteriorated requiring admission to ICU on January the 19th. She was sedated and ventilated for nearly a month! 80% of people with this presentation have died! Thanks to first Kettering General and then Boston Pilgrim Hospital Lee survived Covid19 and was discharged from ICU on the 20th of February. There's a video and everything of her being clapped off the unit. On the 7th of March Lee moved to a rehab unit back in Northants and the 22nd of March Lee came home! Whilst this was a very bad experience other people have had it worse. That's not me downplaying it, I just know we're lucky Lee is alive and making her long slow recovery!

So this week Lee is kind of okay. A bit less tired than last week. It still feels like a plateau and I was starting to worry about it all. However Lee had a review from ICU and they're really pleased with her progress. They think its a 12-18 month process and the plateau is due to the initial speed of recovery. The advice is to rest as much as possible and not to push! I, of course, would be all for pushing so this is timely advice indeed! She has her respiratory follow up this week and ICU also said cardiology need to rethink their decision to discharge! So it's not a lot of news but its a little bit good. 


Monday was a boiling hot day and we suffered in masks at work! My reward was a coaching session with those wonderful kids at cyclones. I decided, as it was a rideout session, that I'd ride in to K Town and make the most of a fine day. It was also a lot cooler on a bike than sitting still. On the way in I met fellow coach Andy Brown. We bumped into each other on the lovely trails around the back of Brambleside and took the scenic route to the coaching session. We then took the kids on a rideout to Wicksteed Park with a couple of laps of the Lake and some fun downhill repeats. 


After the session Andy and I took the long route home via Geddington and Weekley Woods. I had the most lovely time and the world just felt good!


I had another spin on Wednesday. This time it was just my standard 17 mile route. Again it was the perfect antidote to the hot day.



The above shot is at the start of one of my favourite roads from Desborough to Arthingworth. I once held the KOM for this fast descent. Going downhill fast is just the best feeling!

I was planning on going out again on Friday but ended up helping a colleague out with some equipment to work from home...then I started planning my Saturday!

I was in 2 minds whether to go to Parkrun on restart day or ride my bike...so I came up with a plan to do both. 


I drove to k Town with my bike and parked at work. The plan was to be back at work for 8.15, get changed, walk to the Parkrun at Wickies and then run. The sharper eyed of you will notice that this plan is even more foolish than it sounds because the route came back to Kettering via Rothwell...yes that's right we rode right by my house. A better plan would have been to ride to early birds, go back to my house, get changed and then go to Parkrun. That way I could've also picked up Charity my best running buddy! Oh well this worked too. Scott, Mark and I had a nice ride and then I did indeed make it to Parkrun! 

with thanks to John Woods for this picture!

I'm really glad I went to Parkrun. 300 hundred ish people ran and it was great to see some familiar faces. I felt quite emotional at the start briefing. This is another step in the recovery and it was just so lovely to run round, having the odd chat with others and thanking the volunteers. My time wasn't the best but was also better than I've been running with the dogs. I know I'm overweight at the moment and I'd also warmed up with a 22 mile bike ride...so all in all I'm okay with that. At some stage I'd like to beat my PBs but it's not the priority right now!


Sunday morning started with junior Parkrun duties. As ever it's so good to give back!


Today I wanted 20 miles to take me over 100 miles of activity for the week. I set out on my MTB with no clear plan and ended up having an absolute blast!

 I'm not fond of cows in fields I ride through because I've been chased before! Luckily the herd and more vitally the bulls were not close to me at any time!


Between Foxhall and Mill Lane I decided to head towards the exact fields where I'd had problems with cows. My confidence was increased by this fence! I have to thank the farmer for doing this. The fence carries on for miles making the ride safer and way more enjoyable!

So that's my cycling. In bigger news I hope you've caught up with the olympic road races. Both the male and female races were great and with surprise winners. In the week we have the Time Trials and XC MTB. Next week it's track cycling. Just wonderful!

Happy Pedalling 




No comments:

Post a Comment