Sunday 15 August 2021

Another positive week

You know the drill. Update on Lee and then into my cycling blog. Lots to talk about this week so let's get to it!


Some big appointments happened for Lee this week. On Monday it was checking in with the GP on a gazillion things. Lee had a list prepared so pity the poor doctor! First up was cardiology and we've been told to go back to them! Next up was the long covid service and our GP has agreed to refer. Then Lee told him she needed her potassium checking, so we got a blood test form. Finally she asked about her assessment for driving. The answer was: "as long as you feel okay there's no reason not to drive!" The GP also said he felt that respiratory was key to Lee's treatment.


So Lee has driven. Not my car...sorry this is a bit of a staged photo! She has been out in her mini though! I guess that means I don't have to take it for a spin to work once a week now! A real shame I love that car in sports mode!!!

In mahoosive news our son Sam got his GCSE results. 


The clever chap got everything he needed and will start A levels in the 6th form in September. It's been tough for all the kids but I'm especially proud of Sam. Whilst Lee was fighting for her life, Sam got his head down and worked hard! As a reward we have bought him an Apple watch! I got quite emotional about all this and after we got the results I was good for nothing for the rest of the day!

On Saturday Lee had her long awaited Respiratory appointment. The news is good. Her lungs are recovering! The consultant has prescribed new inhalers and this will aid her recovery further. It's still going to take months but the consultant believes Lee will make a full recovery. This has given us so much hope!


Today Lee has been out with her most splendid friends from FORJS (friends of Rothwell Junior School.) The lovely ladies have long since left that committee. As you know our youngest kids are in their GCSE year! However this lot have stayed the best of friends and took Lee out for lunch today. It is what she needs and I'm very grateful to them all! 


After her ladies lunch Lee needed a jolly good sleep! I'd say that was a good way to get tired!

That's the Lee bit done...it's time for the cycling stuff.

On Monday we tried to do a structured coaching session with cyclones. However the pesky weather had other ideas. We did somehow make it work though. It's weird but we worked something out, had a lot of fun and it just felt great! 

On my return Lee had prepared yet another superb fish dish.

This was hake with Orzo. Another highlight in this week's "What the Lindsleys ate," was our seafood paella last night! This beauty has chorizo, prawns, scallops and mussels. 

My cycling didn't work quite as I expected this week. I went out on Tuesday for a standard 17 miler and then didn't make it out again until Saturday. I also didn't manage a run all week! So by Saturday I had the tall order of cycling 80 miles and running 7 miles to reach my weekly goals!

I did consider joining the early birds on Saturday and then running parkrun. However my cycling friends at cyclasylum decided that early birds started at 6am this week so they could get 35 miles in before the main group ride! So I ditched that idea!!! Instead I decided to forget parkrun and go for the 47 mile cyclasylum ride. I'm not sure what's wrong with us! We used to be happy with a 30-40 mile ride on a Saturday morning. Now it's 45-50 and if that's not enough go to early birds first! 100 mile rides are now commonplace among my cycling friends. It's like we just want more and more! Please don't think that's a criticism, I think as a bunch of MAMILs we are pretty impressive. We love riding our bikes so why shouldn't we go for long rides?


This long ride was titled "gentle Neville," as it supposedly climbs the Neville Holt hill the "easy," way! For me this was a weird ride. My legs went exactly like they did at the Dartmoor Classic. One minute I had tonnes of energy the next I was totally exhausted. This meant I was arse end Charlie for much of the ride.


Along the way we had a lot of fun. One highlight was discovering this quiet cycling route that ended up in Great Bowden. The banter flowed as did some great conversations and the odd sing song!


We had a cafe stop in Geddington near the end of the planned ride. By compete accident we bumped into Old friend Nathan Gallon with his beautiful dog Dexter. It was great to see the big man. 


I was knackered by this point but having done 50 miles of a possible 62 mile 100km fondo I decided to push on. Those last few miles were a struggle!


Today I came up with a clear but ever so slightly mad plan: walk the dogs, junior parkrun duties, cycle 20 miles, run 7 miles, hoover the house, mow the lawn and do the ironing. 


My furry friends were fabulous company as usual before I headed off to Desborough. At junior Parkrun I was the volunteer coordinator for the first time and I have to say it feels more pressured than being the run director! However it was yet another great run for the kids and a sense of satisfaction for the adult volunteers! 


My 20 miles cycling turned out to be 19 but that was still enough. This route is a firm favourite of mine and with the wind behind me on the return journey it was a lot of fun!


Once home I got the Dyson out and whizzed round the house before getting my running kit on. 


The run was not my fastest at all. I was quite tired at this point and decided a slow steady plod was the only way!


I ran back to Desborough and round the greenspace so I couldn't resist a go on the outdoor gym equipment. Let's face it I needed a sit down!

I got home feeling pleased that I'd completed my exercise goals for the week and then sat still for a good hour. I did get going again though, the lawn has been mowed and the ironing is done too! I think I'll sleep well tonight. I also decided I deserved a beer!


In other news I got a muc off clean and lube pack this week. The oil comes with a uv light to show where you have oiled your chain. I love this sort of thing!!!



So I discovered some even closer to home Olympic connections this week. The bike that Charlotte Worthington rode to victory got its paint job at Precious Metals on Telford Way, Kettering. This company is owned and ran by the husband of my Lee's cousin! The name of the company is also very important to our family but that's another story for another time! Anyway here's their fine work!

Okay that's it for this week. 

Happy Pedalling 






No comments:

Post a Comment