Sunday 11 July 2021

I can see the Isle of Man!

This week will be a lot of Lee updates and a little bit of cycling at the end. More than anything though it's mostly about a great week with great friends.



I missed a blog last week because in all honesty not much happened. Lee did have a 24hr heart monitor but we haven't even had the results yet. I did some coaching and some cycling, walked the dogs and did a couple of runs. All standard fare. At work we had our virtual wellbeing festival. This was fantastic with some  brilliant keynote speakers. Chris Packham was great on Monday but for me the absolute highlight was Gareth Thomas.

The rest of the week was about getting ready to go away. Lee had a trip to see her hairdresser Brad at Queens in Rothwell. She is relieved that her hair loss has slowed a bit!

On Monday we headed off to the Lake District for a week at Moorside Glamping pods. We took our dogs, Bruce and Charity. Joining us were our good friends Vicky and Martin plus their dog Fergus. Usually when we go away together the kids all come too. However in a WiFi free, intermittent 4G signal area, we were very glad to be teenager free! We met them in a pub on the way for the first of many good meals with a nice pint


We arrived after a scenic trip over the fells to our homes for the week. These are just perfect. Set on the side of the moor with mountains behind and the coast in front. The weather was so fine we could see the Isle of Man...more on that in a bit!


Lee took the opportunity to have her daily Nanna nap whilst Vicky, Martin, the dogs and I tested the quoted 15 minute walk to the nearest pub. We wanted to see if this was suitable for Lee and quickly discovered...no, no it wasn't. It was rough and hilly and frankly 15 minutes would've been a challenge for a spritely fell runner. That it took us 40 minutes to get to the pub and 20 to get back isn't the funniest part of the story. Firstly Vicky took us down a path into a bog and optimistically kept going. 


As we doubled back we had to negotiate a cattle grid. Bruce helpfully dropped his ball down it, I retrieved the ball as Martin made sure he captured the moment on camera! Charity offered helpful advice. 



Once the ball was retrieved...for the retrievers, we negotiated the cattle grid. Bruce decided to do it in one jump which was bad news for Vicky holding on to his lead! Luckily she stayed upright and thoughts went to a safer way to cross cattle grids! It was on the way back that the three wise people realised the gate next to the grid could be opened!!!

Then Martin exclaimed he could see the Isle of Man even more clearly just as he promptly stepped in a massive cowpat. He also miraculously stayed on his feet! At this point Vicky and I lost it. I don't think I've laughed as much in my life. The next sight of an amorous bull servicing his hephers was just par for the course! Thankfully the pub wasn't much further and we calmed down over a pint!


With Lee's mobility still impaired we decided the next day to go on a train ride. This lovely little train is known as the Ratty and sets off from Ravenglass, just 6 miles from the pods. Martin and Lee booked the tickets and we got a tiny carriage for four people. Lee was asked if we had big dogs and fearing we wouldn't get on, she replied: "no not really!"


Okay so I think they might actually class Bruce and Charity as big dogs. On the first attempt to fit in, Charity dived straight under the seat and stayed there. Bruce jumped straight back out again! Yep the labrador had the most sense here. Somehow we wedged in and set off. Meanwhile the carriage next door was empty!!!

Lee managed a ten minute walk to the village of Boot for an ice cream and then we let her have a rest as we went for a wander. Then we doubled back round to Lee and of course went to the pub! I can heartily recommend the Boot Inn!


On the way back to Ravenglass they allowed us to use the empty carriage and everyone was a bit more comfy! 
Having taken a train ride on Tuesday we decided on a boat ride for Wednesday! So we took a drive to a sunny Coniston water. We easily fitted on the boat and it was a lovely little trip!



From the boat you get to see Beatrix Potter's House, the setting for Swallows and Amazons and the stunning mountains that surround the lake. The best known being the Old Man of Coniston, one of the many fells I've walked with my Dad.

This is also the scene of Donald Campbell's ill fated speed record attempt in Bluebird.


After that...of course we went to the pub! Another great meal and a pint of Bluebird! Lee made the ten minute walk to the pub and started a wander round the shops before it all caught up with her again. It really brings it home when you see her exhausted so easily. Back to the pod for another Nanna nap!


On Thursday I wanted to take everyone to Wasdale, the most Lake District part of the Lake District. If you're wondering what Lee is laughing about she had just said she can't see a pub! Erm..this one?


Wssdale claims to have England's highest mountain, deepest Lake and smallest church. Dad brought me here many times and I still love the place! As with previous days, Lee read her kindle on a bench and we went for a wander. She also managed to meet a lady who helps people post covid and now has another contact to help her recovery. After that of course we went to the pub! 


It must be said every pub we frequented did good quality food and nice beer at a reasonable price. The glamping pods are also great value for money. The weather ignored the poor forecast and was great throughout. 


In the afternoon we headed to the nearby beach. It was nice for a few minutes and then we realised that Lee had probably done too much for the day. Martin and I had to help her back to the car. She was okay again after a few minutes sitting down, it seems the virus isn't done with us yet! However we did have a nice last evening in the bods with yet more good food and drink!


On Friday morning Martin and I took the dogs for a last walk before we packed up to head home. This was a wonderful break and just what we all needed. Lee is disappointed she couldn't do more but I'm sure it will come! Oh and here...is the Isle of Man!


Okay now the cycling bit. I did take my cx with me and I even planned a 24 round trip to Hardknot Pass and back. However this trip wasn't about me so I just went out for a couple of short rides. Here's some pics from my rides.


Once back home I tried to fit my new cassette and chain to my road bike. Turns out I do need a longer rear hanger AND my goodness 4 attempts to fit the chain...what a numpty!

With all that needing fixing another day I went for a little spin on my mountain bike. It was quite interesting for a little local loop. A lovely touch with the air ambulance fundraiser and I'm sure that pig knows how much bacon and sausages I ate this week!


Today I did my usual parkrun duties before taking my MTB out again. This time I did Geddington Chase and back. That's always a good off road ride!


I'm hoping for a lot more cycling next week. However it really would be bad not to mention Mark Cavendish. I was able to watch both stage wins this week in the pod. Equaling anything by Eddy Merckx is phenomenal! He's also been pretty humble about it, praising his team AND pointing out that Marianne Vos has achieved something just as spectacular at the Giro! What a man!!! 

Well some sort of football match is about to start so...

Happy Pedalling 









No comments:

Post a Comment