Sunday 18 July 2021

Back to work, back to familiar routines

After a wonderful week away in the Lake District it was back to work with a bump! It's the usual format. Lee update, bit of cycling, running etc and then a celebration of the Tour de France 🇫🇷 2021.

This beautiful lady and I celebrated our 21st wedding anniversary on Tuesday. I think its fair to say we've both been recovering from our holiday this week. Lee has certainly been more tired and it took me a few days to adjust back to work. Strangely, given Lee's heart rate is currently being kept down by beta blockers, she has been discharged from cardiology. This is because the monitor showed her heart rate is normal! Now that might be right but it doesn't feel right. That's where we are right now so many unknowns, hopefully we will get more answers soon! The positives are that we haven't had any dramas for a while and you know...21 years married, that's awesome!


My activity this week has been; lots of dog walks, coaching on Monday, a couple of runs, a group ride and Run Director duties at junior Parkrun.

It was great to get back to coaching at KCC cyclones. We held a race night, which is always fun. Just like the bloke feeding the pigeons in the Blur song; Parkside, it gives me an enormous sense of wellbeing. 


I love walking my dogs in the morning. This is my picture of the week. We might not be in the Lake District but it's still nice round here.


On Saturday I joined my friends from the Cyclasylum for a group ride. For many reasons I didn't join the early birds or indeed the full ride. I did see the early birds come through Rothwell when I was walking the dogs. 

Reason 1 was that I wanted to test my new 11-34 cassette. I had fitted a wolf tooth hanger extender to get everything working. As ever when you make a change it needs testing before you can feel confident. With that in mind I decided to meet the others in Loddington rather than K Town.

We headed out on a hilly route where I'd been my usual fast descending self so the next bit was a worrying surprise. Heading through Dingley, down hill at about 35 mph I experienced speed wobble. This is terrifying. Luckily I didn't panic and just held on and hoped. The shaking of my bike through my bottle out of the cage and I needed to stop. Riding fast downhill is 'my thing,' I'm not reckless but I do enjoy it. I've never experienced this before and didn't really understand why it happened. Afterwards I carried on riding fast down hills and nothing bad happened. I did some research once home and this article helps.
speed wobble article - cycling tips


The rest of the ride was uneventful apart from Steve's puncture. Mark was good enough to help whilst the rest of us provided moral support aka taking the mick! Steve's disgraceful multi-tool cannot pass without mention!


This morning I was joint Run Director at Junior Parkrun. I had an easy week with plenty of volunteers. Also we had a lot of experience this morning to make the job even easier. As ever seeing the kids enjoy the run makes my day. 

I don't know if it's okay to use this picture, I've made it as obvious as possible that this is from Cav's Instagram page. I just need to celebrate 🍾 his wonderful achievement! Unlucky on the day today but I'm okay with Wout van Aert taking the final stage as I love how well the cx riders are doing. A stunning achievement by Cav. 

Happy Pedalling 


No comments:

Post a Comment