Monday 31 August 2020

Storm Francis, lights, winter jersey...is summer over?

Its not unusual for the UK weather to let us all down and bank holidays it seems are often a disappointment. But on August 29th...I have lit the log burner!!!

Despite this, there have been breaks in the rain and the wind has dropped to 'safe to ride,' even if it remains hard work. My cycling week has been a really good mix.

On Monday we decided to run a cyclones coaching session. The week before we cancelled, based on the weather forecast and a fine evening made a fool of us all. The forecast was dodgy again this week but we risked it and once again it was a fine evening. I love coaching these kids. I also had some off road fun of my own. On the way home I needed my lights for the first time in a long time. Winter is coming!

On Wednesday, my son Sam and I headed to the Rockingham Forest Wheelers clubhouse for the short course TT dash. This is a real fun event from Ashley back to Middleton. With an easy course to navigate, Sam allowed me to also take part. We both did our best but having not practised this it was difficult to know how to approach it. I just rode as fast as I could until I ran out of steam. Then I eased off for a bit before going all out again for the finish. Sam held back for a planned sprint finish and then didn't realise where the finish was! Every day is a school day!!!


I only managed one run this week. My slow splashy effort on Friday was strangely therapeutic. Sometimes all you need to do is find a rhythm.


I woke up on Saturday morning to a damp, cold and breezy day. This was not summer at all. It was more like November. Has August 2020 just given up? I opted for a winter jersey and didn't regret it once! 

A smaller group than usual met at the swimming pool and we opted for one group of 6 plus some! Our first destination was St. Mary's Road where Kettering Borough Council have installed a bike lane. Frankly I think its a half arsed token gesture. The road is also a lumpy bumpy mess! What do these bollards that apparently cost £20k achieve? To me they say to cars...just pass us with one bollard width to spare and don't worry we'll ride in the gutter! Muppets.

My bike was rattling like crazy and I couldn't figure out why. Then I saw my stem cap jump and I realised the bolt was very loose. Well that was a relief, like most cyclists I obsess about squeaks and rattles and then panic that an expensive repair is required!


As ever Graham set a good pace on the front and we all tried to hang on. If we thought we were going fast Bairdy, Neil Hickford and the rest of Veloelite came past at an impressive pace.

The ride seemed to go quite quickly despite a testing wind. I felt great at 30 miles but was starting to fade at 40. As we headed towards the coffee stop in Woodford we started to notice wool decorations everywhere.


I stopped to enquire what was going on and a local lady told me: "we should've done this at feast time but because of the 'carry on,' we decided to do it now!" Only in Northants would someone describing a global pandemic as a 'carry on.'


I have no idea when feast time is but this seems like a lovely local tradition. Thankfully they don't appear to feast on inquisitive cyclists.

At the coffee stop it was the usual banter. Mark has some unusual advice for getting rid of wasps. His poxy plan is to clap at them...we tried, it didn't seem to work. 


Today's venue was the Grain store coffee house. I can't resist a dirty chai little and decided I'd earned a bumper breakfast sandwich. I didn't think of taking a picture until too late!


As we set off I felt completely rubbish. I'm never as good after a break and wonder if I should start giving the cafe stop a miss. At this stage I realised that I didn't have my glasses! I put the group out of its misery of waiting for me by heading home via Grafton Underwood. Justin came with me to the crossroads and then I headed on solo to Geddington. Because I could I took the offroad shortcut through Weekly Woods.

Mrs L and I headed back to the Grain Store Coffee House where we found my glasses in the bush that my bike had fallen over in. I treated the queen of cakes to a cream tea and because it would be rude not to, I had another dirty chai. Then we went for another look at those wonderful wooly creations.

On Sunday morning I needed a light ride and that's what I got. In aid of Cransley Hospice the KCC Cyclones held a cycling treasure hunt. We started at Kettering Rugby Club and the first obstacle was a locked gate. It was sorted after a few phone calls. The clues were provided by club chairman Roger Reed. Some great features such as the Grafton Underwood Church stained glass window, the war memorial nearby and the Eleanor Cross at Geddington. All things that have featured in this blog before.


I took my Forme Calver cyclocross bike out for the first time in ages and initially it felt weird. Knobbly tyres at 30psi are very different to my road set up. However I wanted to mix it up a bit with some off road fun thrown in. As I got used to it again I remembered what a fun bike it is!

It was a great little loop for the kids and then I was free for some off road fun back through Weekly Glebe, Weekly woods and the track to Rushton. 


Today (Bank holiday Monday,) it was time for another group ride with the Cyclasylum. Due to everyone's commitments we decided on an early start time of 7.30am. Some of the group have been doing this anyway in an 'early birds,' ride. Today Steve Minney met us at the swimming pool but had already done his ride, making him an 'early, early bird!' Anything goes, we are a tolerant bunch. In fact the only thing we won't tolerate is intolerance and probably baggy shorts on a road bike. Also I was the first to arrive, which is a first and very unnerving! I wondered if a secret message group had arranged a different ride. Eventually Andy, Mark, Marcus, Ian and Mike arrived. We picked Pete up at the top of the hill on Arthingworth Road.


At this stage I should mention the weather. It was cold! I had my winter jersey on again. However we also had the lightest winds I can remember for a ride. 

As we left Kettering I got ahead of the group on the downhill and was determined not to get passed by everyone as I headed towards Loddington. As I headed up the hill I was feeling good as no one passed me. Then I looked over my shoulder and no one was there! I looked down at my Wahoo and I was off route! What a prize plum. I cut across from Thorpe Malsor and then up the bumps to Loddington where everyone was waiting for me and as you can imagine, much mockery occurred! 

This is the downside of having a GPS device. I've stopped checking out the route. Someone posts it, I download it and then I follow it! Before I'd memorise the route and know where I was going!!! 

This was an Andy P special. We sought out every hill and after an hour I'd done 17 miles over 1000ft and I was only 2 miles from home!


At Welford, Marcus left us and Heather joined us at the exact same junction. This seamless substitution was completely unplanned. It was great to see Heather though!


For bits of this ride I managed to get on the front. That's because in between the hills Andy had put in some fast flat bits. I especially enjoyed the stretch from Naseby through Sibbertoft and onto Welford and then again into Long Buckby before the hill!

There was a nice fast rolling section again to Holdenby before significant climbs up to Spratton and again to Brixworth.


At Brixworth we were rewarded with a coffee break at The Workhouse. I enjoyed a lovely golden chai latte and some Twix tiffin. 


From there I stayed with the group until Old and made my own way home via Harrington.

Northamptonshire does not have the stunning scenery of other areas. However our rolling hills are very pleasant. This route showcased that perfectly.

In other news I need to give a big shout out to my cycling friend Clint Boodhist. After an already epic year, Clint and fellow superhuman Emily Campbell, completed a 24 hour 300 mile ride! Chapeau you two!!!

It's also great to see the Tour de France 🇫🇷 has started. So far its been a thoroughly enjoyable race. In weird old 2020 it feels like this is the most open race ever.

Well that was a great week.
Happy Pedalling 




No comments:

Post a Comment