Sunday 16 August 2020

Lazy leave week with a busy end!


2020 has been the most bizarre of years. Instead of currently being in Australia we're on a fortnight staycation. The plan is to make the best of things whilst getting some needed R&R.

On Monday I  set out for Kettering to coach those great kids at KCC Cyclones. I was a bit lethargic before hopping on my bike and as usual a few minutes in I was feeling great again. I've also been working on the best off road route to Ise Lodge. Its been a few years since I tried the trails around the back of Brambleside and into Weekley Glebe. What I discovered was a lovely surprise of fun single track!

Coaching itself was a joy. I only had a rough plan as you can't be sure of the groups at this time of year. We had a blast making use of natural features such as trees to practise cornering and gears. 

I had a great fun ride home back through the single track, across Weekley Woods and down the track to Rushton.

On Tuesday I was lucky enough to spend some time fishing at Andy P's House. It was lovely to sit by the river. Not much action on a bright sunny day but very relaxing and as usual the hosts were exceptional!


On Wednesday I had a delivery I'd been waiting for. All of my bikes had bar tape that was frankly embarrassing. On my CX and one of the road bikes I'd previously put some glowing grey camo tape on. This looked spectacular to start with but now looked shabby.



Much better!

For my Giant Propel, the white saddle, pedals, bottle cage and bar tape had looked great when they were new. Now I'm on a mission to replace the lot with black.


This Giant branded tape came with Giant plug ends and I'm way happier with how this looks. As for my taping skills...well after 3 bikes in a week I have achieved "acceptable!"

I have alao solved a mystery. Every week I was getting a brownish red mark on my neck from my chin strap.


The culprit was the hook I hang my helmet on is going rusty! I'm guessing the corrosion is due to my sweaty helmet!!! So I've solved that problem with some insulation tape!

Sam and I were due to go to Rocko TT again on Wednesday evening and a lot of that taping was about making the bikes more presentable for racing. However it was a blistering hot day and Sam was not impressed by the idea. A reduced field did pin on a number. Kudos to them but I was thankful that Sam wanted to leave it for another day!

Friday was supposed to be a big rest day for me because I knew Saturday was going to be tough! Mrs L and I had free tickets to Althorp House grounds courtesy of being NHS staff. 


The house isn't open to the public right now but the grounds alone are worth the visit. The tribute to Diana is very well maintained. I loved the quote on her memorial.


Making a day of it we also had a wander around Coton Manor House Gardens. Not a freebie but you can see where the £8 entry fee is spent. We were a bit younger than the average visitor. I had neither dressed in socks and sandals in solid octogenarian beige or elected for full himalayan hiking kit. So we felt young and trendy for the first time in a long time. (Trendy...there's a word that ages me!)


After some quality time with Mrs L I thought I could get my feet up and relax watching the 🏏 cricket. That was going to plan nicely until her friend arrived and I ended up a ladder picking apples...no worries I sat back down again to relax...then I was asked how many bricks we had left in the garden...coming dear! I counted 248 and was told not to be stupid...Mrs L then also counted 248. She then told me her cousin was on the way round with a van as she needed the bricks!!! Operation wheelbarrow went into full swing and before long I was sweating cobs on my rest day...no matter after a dog walk I did get some rest! I also stuck to alcohol free beer that night!


Saturday morning started with a run! Matthew Peleszok had kindly enlisted my help as part of the Desborough Runners virtual relay team. My slot was at 7am so I'd still be able to go for a group ride. I did my best for my alloted 30 minutes but I was not on top running form. I'm not sure if I was putting myself under pressure or just holding back because I was going out on my bike.


When I got home I seriously doubted I wanted to go for a bike ride. However Matt messaged me and wished me a good ride. So then I felt obligated to go! 

As in previous week a group of us met at Kettering Swimming Pool. We set off in three groups. I joined Neil, Steve Duke and 'Big Richard,' in group 2.

The planned route was about 43 miles heading out to Raunds, round the back of Rushden, through Grendon, up Earls Barton hill and into Orlingbury for coffee via that gloriously quick Sywell straight.


After my run I was not feeling it at all. However the answer to almost every problem is cycling. Well, that and banter. As ever we laughed almost as much as we pedalled and by 20 miles I started to really enjoy it. Big thanks here to Mr Duke for ensuring his Strava profile picture has a full view of the scenery from his recent Cornish holiday. Thank goodness for the man's bare faced cheek. Also thanks to Neil for his suggested banana 🍌 break where group 3 caught up with us.

We rode together from there with no worries about social distancing as Bruce and Amy left us all in their wake. We had no choice but to stop in Wollaston for the traditional inbetweeners picture.


On the way out of Mears Ashby we encountered a car driver who needs the sign above for his personalised number plate. This utter twit tried to overtake us on a narrow road with another car heading towards us. His solution was to pull into the middle of the group, beeping angrily. Luckily the car headed towards us had better sense and stopped. I'm not especially proud of our angry response, the driver knows in uncertain terms how we felt! However the most bewildering thing was he pointed at his dash cam. I really hope the misguided moron takes his footage to the police. 

Rant over. On the whole cyclist v motorist debate I have always felt there needs to be tolerance on both sides. On a 58 miles four hour ride, this was the only issue. That means for most of the time there isn't a problem. However one pillock can spoil the day...or to quote the Sterophonics...it only takes one match to burn a thousand trees.

Once the drama was passed we got onto the quick road to Harrowden. Having all lied about taking it easy we organised into a chain resulting in a sprint. I tried to match Amy but saw my heart rate go through 180bpm and thought better of it. Wobbly legs then took me up the hill into Orlingbury.


The cafe already had about £30k of carbon sat outside when we arrived. Its no wonder this is a popular stop. Even though they have the BEST sausage rolls I opted for a bacon, sausage and egg bap.


I think everyone had milkshake envy when Mark's drink arrived! Richard G helpfully asked them to refer to him as "big Richard," so our drinks didn't get mixed up. 

After the cafe stop Bruce joined me as we tried to find the flattest route home. I was now shattered and wobbling along at about 13mph. Bruce stayed with me until Orton and then headed off for even more miles! I was close to 100k fondo distance but just couldn't be bothered to do four more miles. 58 is and odd number to stop on, even weirder as its 95ish km but I was glad to get home. I'd taken the magic magnesium after my run otherwise I'm sure this would have been a crampy last few miles!


I rewarded my self with some quality Belgian and German beers. 


Today I'm having a recovery day, with plans for more big rides next week. All I've done is a damp and muddy dog walk. 


This afternoon the recovery nutrition will be maintained with Mum's Sunday lunch and Dad's cider before we settle down as a family to watch Saints v Wasps. My Nan is the biggest fan and the telly will get quite a telling off if the Saints don't play well!!!

Big shout out to Steve Coombs who continues his epic ride unsupported xthrough France on the French Divide 2020

The only other thing to mention is the Dauphine is in full spin and I'm enjoying the traditional warm up to the Tour de France. Right now Roglic looks firm favourite for the TdF and Ineos look in decline. However this is 2020...who knows what will happen! (UPDATE Roglic retired from race!)

Happy Pedalling 












No comments:

Post a Comment