Sunday 13 September 2020

Just a fabulous week of cycling in the late Summer sun!


That has to be one of the best weeks this year for cycling and a few other reasons. I've coached, got out on my own in the week, had a groupride on the road and another off road. Somehow I also managed to get a run in too! I'm exhausted...but in a good way!

I didn't blog last week due to preparing for an interview on Monday. For the same reason I opted out of the 100km fondo ride with cyclasylum and instead joined the shorter ride.

Mark Skinner and I met up at Rushton Hall and were joined by another Mark, Marcus, Mike, Ian and Big Richard. This will start a series of calamities from me...I forgot my phone...I hadn't downloaded the route to my wahoo. No one else had the route. I could kind of remember it so ended up leading the group through the Welland valley. It worked out! We had a great ride and I was home early on. 

On Monday I got the job! Not a promotion but an excellent chance to manage some different teams and also, as its based in Kettering, to maintain the work/balance I've enjoyed recently.

To celebrate I led the cyclones in a hill climbing session. I was ably supported by Charlie as usual and the parents did a good job marshalling so we could stay safe. The kids did hill repeat races near Harrington. It's a tough hill. They were brilliant, such good attitudes, a joy to coach. It was the perfect end to a great day!


On Thursday morning I woke up and looked out of the window. It looked like a lovely morning and it felt like a waste not to go for a ride. So I did! A great way to start the day.

After a successful but tiring week at work I really needed my Saturday ride with the Cyclasylum. I wanted to do my fondo this week having missed out the week before. I considered joining the early birds at 7am but decided against it. I headed out for my own late early birds to get some extra miles in before joining the group but realised I'd forgotten that magic magnesium so came home. I then set off for a reduced later late early birds only to realise at the top of bunker hill that I'd forgotten my drinks!!!! So home again and then I only just made it to Kettering in time for the regular ride. Perhaps we should call that 'normal birds!' I do worry about me sometimes!!!


We had two groups this week and I opted for group two which looked less 'keen.' Just to keep the bird thing going I decided to race Amy Bird for village signs. Because youth and talent are no match for experience and treachery, I quickly held a 5 nil lead. This was mostly because I took 5 signs before announcing the competition!


After that I only took one more sign off the impressive youngster who just marked me and then destroyed me!!! This meant I spent a long time on the front and kept putting myself in the red for sprints. So by the time we made it to the coffee stop I was pretty wrecked despite taking my magnesium, drinking well and keeping my carbs up with jelly babies. The other thing of note was that we nearly got wiped out by dogs running across the road at Yelden. 

The Old Forge Tea Room was busy but well set up when we arrived. Group 1 were there but still waiting for food and drinks. Andy had booked which was good because people were turned away.

The food was top notch. I had a high quality sausage and bacon sandwich. The cakes looked good too.

The route finished at the cafe, leaving us free to pick our own direction home. Most of us headed to Grafton crossroads before going separate ways. Big Richard and I rode together back to Rothwell at a more sedate pace than earlier. We had a great chat though, putting the world to rights. He is great company!

Today we met up in a group of 7 for a long overdue off road ride. The plan was 33 miles so I felt an extra 10 to and from Geddington would be manageable. My legs felt tight as I set off but soon loosened up.

For some reason we met at the Ford and not the cross and then headed to Geddington chase. That glorious bit of downhill was dry and fast. Possibly the best I've seen it. The ride group today was Andy, Mark C, Marcus, Graham, Paul and Uncle Bob.


Paul started having tubeless issues so we all stopped to offer helpful advice which of course came by the way of unhelpful barely friendly banter!


We made our way over great gravel roads and not so great rutted fields and eventually arrived at Lievden New Bield. Where Andy took the usual photo.

From there it was through some great bridleways heading towards Aldwinkle but not getting there. I loved the downhill section. It was sketchy in places which adds to fun! At the bottom Paul gave up on his dodgy tubeless and took the short trip home. We headed back up a hill and 20 miles into my ride...my legs went wobbly. I'd had my banana 🍌 but I was also really hungry! This came and went for the rest of the ride but generally got worse.

Andy's sponsored Hope socks deserve a mention

We ended up on the trails between Thrapston and Stanwick lakes which was good for me as they're flat. It was busy with joggers, dog walkers and other bikes. 


Eventually though we headed uphill through Little Addington. My legs died again! I trudged on until we got to the A510. I was cursing myself for not packing some food. I could've murdered a Mars bar! 

On the road we passed the impressive round house. I featured this in a blog a few years back. That's long forgotten so I'll share this link again which explains what the building is about. Roundhouse Farm

Andy left us to hurry home for a family lunch. We were soon all cursing him as we crossed an oppressive ploughed field. My hand cramped from being smashed around.

It was a relief to make the other side. From there we headed to Cranford and into Kettering. I just wanted to get home by the shortest route. I said my goodbyes and headed to Warkton. I was so tired I didn't enjoy the trails through Weekly Glebe and onto Weekly Woods. It was tough just to keep turning the peddles and a massive relief to get home. To recover, I inhaled about ten maryland cookies 🍪 and a pint of milk. My best guess on all of that is I depleted my leg energy the day before and just needed to fuel better today...maybe I should also stop trying to outsprint teenagers!

In other news...how good is this Tour de France? Possibly the best one in years.

Happy Pedalling 

No comments:

Post a Comment