Monday 10 August 2020

A little bit of everything!


Another great week of cycling, running and dog walking. It started with coaching at KCC Cyclones, a couple of 5k runs, some solo rides, off and on road, taking Sam to RFW TT and the big group ride of the week.

No images from my coaching session. I was very tired before I got to cyclones. That 111 mile ride from the weekend was still in my legs and I was on the countdown to a couple of weeks of leave. However coaching the kids did the trick, I perked right up and pretty soon I was wishing I'd ridden over to Kettering rather than throwing the bike in my car. 


On Tuesday morning I wanted a sneaky recon ride on my MTB to find the sunflowers 🌻 everyone is talking about. I had a fun off road spin using the tracks from Rushton to Pipewell.


It was a beautiful morning and wish I had a better camera to show this off!

From Pipewell I headed to the trails in Desborough Greenspace (or the Plens.) The kids have been busy in the woods rebuilding the jumps and adding some scary gaps. I had a look but definitely took the wetty lines to avoid injuries!!!


Then I got to the leisure centre and couldn't resist a go on the pump track. No kids were there to laugh at the silly old man. 


Then I took Desborough's little piece of Strade Bianche over to those sunflowers. Totally worth a visit! Even at 07.30 a few people had come for a look.


Operation Helianthus was a success and I brought the Queen of Cakes back for an evening walk with the dogs.


On Wednesday morning I headed out for my first run of the week. This was my fastest run in ages on this hilly route so I was quite pleased with myself.


On Wednesday evening I took Sam over to Middleton and the Rockingham Forest Wheelers clubhouse. Sam wants to do TT but football is his first love. KCC TT is on Thursday and this clashes with football training. So he's joined RFW and as an official club tart RFW is also a 2nd claim club for me. We received a warm welcome and Sam was soon kitted out in a RFW Jersey. 


15 years old Sam is now about my height and I'm sure it won't be long before I'm the shortest Lindsley male again. Sam did well considering how little he's ridden lately. He has a time to improve on now. I love the course, its a lovely part of our county.


Due to road closures it will be a different course next week. Its a hilly one...I'm sure this will cost me a McDonald's!!!


On Thursday morning I just needed to get more miles in my legs and headed out for my standard spin. I had a slight detour due to a road closure. It was just nice to be out! No pictures I was too busy letting my cycling do its wellbeing work!


I was really on it last week and headed out for another run on Friday. I didn't feel as spritely as Wednesday but was still going okay until the single track heading up the hill back into Rothwell. Also walking up the hill blocking the path was a large gentleman. It was a warm morning but possibly a bit early for being topless and there is no appropriate time of the day for that builders bum! As I got closer I saw the Ricky Hatton and Tyson Fury tatoos on his calfs. He appeared to be mumbling to himself. I gave up and walked at a safe distance after a couple of attempts to get his attention "excuse me can I get past please!" When it was wide enough to pass I spotted the problem...ear pods. He had no idea I was there and didn't even really notice me run by. Ear pods and oblivious people are my second least favourite thing after extending dog leads. 


On Saturday it was time for the big group ride of the week. It was already hot by the time we met at 8.45. 15 of us turned up so we did 3 groups of five. Scarily I found myself in a group with superfast Graham on his delicious Trek. Also with me was Mark Skinner who set off like a rocket, Ian and Andy P.


I was also testing my new gripgrap sweat wicking, 50+ spf, cooling, comfort skull cap. This thing works! My head felt warmer to start but never got hot. Also there are added benefits for us baldies. I hate it when an insect flies into my helmet. I can feel it crawling on my head. With this skull cap, you can't feel them!

After last weeks massive ride it was nice to scale down to a sensible not quite 50 miles. To celebrate the fact Richard G asked that the original route was extended a little...then Richard couldn't make it. No word from him yet I hope he's okay.

So after a brief banana break under the famous Harringworth viaduct we headed up the hill to Gretton. After that we did Rockingham hill and just so we paid the complete tax of fools we headed down to Cottingham and back up school hill! My legs were broken after that but it was only a short ride to the coffee stop at the Fox and Peony.


Due to Graham and Mark setting the pace we were there for ages before the other groups arrived. The sausage and bacon bap was top quality. I'd also managed to drink both bottles to prevent dehydration this week.

A big shout out to another couple of cycling friends. I have massive cycling envy for Hans Van Nierop's current adventures in the alps. A bit like Sarah and Steve a few weeks back there are daily pictures of epic climbs on mountains that feature in the Tour de France.


Then taking it to another level is Steve Coombs. He's cureently in an off road MTB race from Belgium to the Pyrenees, through rural France, with a maximum 14.5 days allowed to reach the complete the 1400 miles. It's a self supported ride, no assistance or prearranged accommodation is allowed. I'm looking forward to the pictures and the full story.

Happy Pedalling 


No comments:

Post a Comment