Sunday 18 April 2021

Up and down week for Lee, coaching, dog walking, running and some proper cycling

The dual purpose for this blog remains. So if you're here for the Lee update just read the first bit. If you're here for the cycling stay until the end! 

Mother and daughter

Most of last week went really well for Lee. We had many good walks and a mile is now achievable. It leaves Lee exhausted and every day she has an afternoon "Nanna nap!" Eating and sleeping was going well and I was more confident about leaving her for longer. Then in the early hours of Friday morning Lee's heart rate shot up to 170bpm and stayed there despite the fact she was laying still! This also happened a couple of times in hospital. To put that in context, on my bike ride today my heart rate only got to 146bpm. So it was another trip to hospital, Lee's heart rate stayed high for hours despite medication then suddenly dropped to normal. There were also concerns about a blood clot but thankfully nothing was found. In the end it was only an overnight stay and Lee came home at 5pm yesterday. It was just a speed bump with a cardiology follow up to come. I won't lie, staying positive is an effort. I'd like it a bit easier for a few weeks please!


On Monday it was time for Cyclones again and as this was my last week of leave I used it for a bit of an off road ride too.

The light held just enough to enjoy the tracks round Weekly glebe before and after coaching. The session itself was a ride about with the kids, as ever it was great fun with our talented riders.

In the week I enjoyed lots of dog walks and turned two of those into runs. On Tuesday I was unhappy with my running and on Thursday I felt great. Exercise is weird isn't it! I had a bonus walk around Moulton on Friday night taking in the wonderful weirdness of Specs Lane and Holly Lodge with the gate of many tools!


On Wednesday I managed an hour and a bit out on my Giant Propel.

The plan was a blast out to Naesby and back with the effort on the Naesby to Rothwell Strava segment. Disappointingly this was into a head wind and it wasn't the 20mph+ average I hoped for. I'll go again another day! The quiet road from Kelmarsh to Naesby gave  me an idea as I passed a gravel byway.


Sunday morning started with a very special event. Junior Parkrun is back and Desborough Greenspace Junior Parkrun held its first run for a year. The last one was the run's 1st birthday, so a year later with no runs in between, DGJP is two! I've also joined the core team and in May I will take my turn as Run Director. Today 82 kids ran with 33 volunteers making it possible. Its a wonderful thing to be part of!


After Parkrun I was determined to get out on my bike, especially after waiting at home all day yesterday on a glorious day for cycling! I was also inspired by some gravel group rides that WVCC & RFWCC had held. 


My first mistake was taking my cx out, the 2nd was opting for bridleways as well as gravel. The ground is rock solid, ideal for MTB and it shook me to bits on my Forme Calver!


I set off from Rothwell on the old road alongside the A14. If only this gate was closed and the sign present the day I got bitten by a dog last year! This bridleway is a hidden gem, rabid dogs aside, you wouldn't know you were near the A14. Its also improved since the last time with a much clearer route past Grundys Lake and up to Harrington. From Harrington I took the bridleways over to Arthingworth. It was so firm I got a Strava PR without any effort! 

I was using this ride to work things out and took that byway I'd spotted on Wednesday. I really wished I was on my MTB at that point. The track is good but just would have been more fun with suspension! My next task was to link up the Bridleway from Haselbech through to Blueberry Lane. I sort of failed on that one, I found Blueberry Lane but I wanted to come out just where the tarmac ends. I'll have to explore again another day. 

From there I worked my way round to the Brampton Valley Way, again taking a pounding on rock hard hoof prints! On the BVW there was some sort of run taking place. Its good to see lots of events back on.


I enjoyed the relative smoothness of the BVW and left it at Merry Tom Lane. Whilst I stopped for a banana 🍌 i noticed a fairy door on a tree!

Apparently there's a whole fairy and gnome trail you can search with an app! I love that people do things like this!

My next mistake was riding around Pitsford Reservoir. The paths were packed with family groups oblivious to cyclists and it was slow progress. Pretty obvious on a lovely day that half of Northants would be out for a walk at this popular spot! 

From there I rode back to Lamport, across the fields and home to Rothwell. One of those fields was ploughed over the beaten track, which will please Andy P! As I've said this would have been better on my MTB but...it was still thoroughly enjoyable to be out on a bike!

Once home I was able to catch the end of The Amstel Gold men's race. I'd missed Marianne Vos winning the women's race. The men's was an absolute cracker and I'm still not quite sure how they decided who won.

That's it for now.

Happy Pedalling 


No comments:

Post a Comment