Sunday 4 April 2021

Back on track!

This weeks blog has an update on the Queen of Cakes. A bit of running, a bit more cycling, the joy of roadmap step 1 part b, and more Spring Classics.

So we had a bit of a scare at the weekend going into the start of the week. Thankfully it resolved quickly, Lee was home with us on Tuesday and we got back in track. The rest of the week has been good. The Queen of Cakes looks better than she has in s long time and continues to get a little stronger each day. Climbing a flight of stairs still exhausts her but the technique is definitely improving. The big progress this week is that Lee can get up from the sofa independently. Again she finds this exhausting but...she can do it! Lee also has a nap every afternoon at this point of the day I think I can have the telly to myself and I promptly nod off too! People continue to be very kind and we've had to get more vases due to all the flowers!


My job for the next few weeks is to look after Lee so I'm being very careful about when and where I get out and about. Doubling my runs up with dog walks helps because it takes less time to run and the dogs still get good exercise.


The first ride I had this week was on Good Friday. With everyone off work there was plenty of help around so I felt okay getting out for a while.

I didn't really know what I wanted, just ride, do about twenty miles and just make sure my Giant Propel was in good running order. I started out on my standard 17 via Rushton and Desborough but headed up to Harrington rather than take the gated road to Arthingworth. I know those wheels will fly down that road but I just don't want to risk them on the cattlegrids. Once in Harrington I decided to check out the information boards which tell of a grand feature that no longer exists. The fields have an interesting terracing to them which used to be an ornamental garden.



Also long gone are some medieval fish ponds. Northamptonshire is interesting enough with all the historical buildings still here, let alone bits that are now just fields for livestock!

I tacked a few more miles on coming back to Rothwell via Loddington and Orton. 


On Saturday I had my first opportunity for a group ride since Christmas. It was great to be out with mates again. The rules are confused, its groups of six unless its an organised ride, then you can have 15!


The Cyclasylum were doing a fondo or a 30 mile option. However I didn't think I should be out for too long let alone 100km and left the at Pipewell to head home. The kids can cope but even so I don't think its fair to leave Lee for more than a couple of hours. A lovely touch came from Andy P who presented me with orange/gold dust caps which match my cable ferrules. My 80s theme tune ride mate, Mark C was the originator of the idea. They look  great on my Hunt wheels. Group rides are back! Maybe 2021 will be alright after all.


Today I just needed an hour to burn the Easter eggs off. Anyone who thinks the route looks like my dog walks its because it is! I've been waiting for those trails to firm up and had an idea about a bit of a training circuit. A tip I picked up from Muddy Marvels and Corby Capers is to use natural features to make rides more interesting. These local woods have hills and hammocks, dips, twists, tree roots and fallen logs. This makes it a good place for a short sharp session.


Today was a leisurely spin rather than a heart pounding training session. A recce really. 



I'm attempting to write this blog and watch the Ronde van Vlaanderen,  so it might take me some time! In fact its already taken me the last hour of the men's race and now I'm watching the women's. It's great stuff.

Tomorrow we return to coaching at the Cyclones. I can't wait, it feels like ages since our last session, I hope lots of the kids can make it!

Happy Pedalling 

No comments:

Post a Comment