Sunday 25 April 2021

Good week for Lee, coaching, running, cycling and multitasking!



Same drill this week. The first bit is a Lee update. After that stay if you like the cycling stuff but I get it if you don't! We've had a good week at home with no dramas or hospital admissions. I've been out on my bike and found new ways to maximise my time. 




I went back to work on Monday wondering how Lee would get on? The answer is; very well thanks. She's still very tired and going for a sleep in the afternoon but activity levels are increasing. She's been having daily walks and doing more around the house. On Monday night I came in from coaching to an amazing Sea Bass dinner! Today we went for a walk of more than a mile. It involved stops and Lee was shattered afterwards but it was done. She's still got altered taste buds although some of that is coming back as some sweet foods have been enjoyed. Still no coffee! The next challenge is  to get Lee reading again. Pre-covid she was glued to her kindle. Now that's also sat idle with the nespresso machine!

 
On Monday as the sun set over Ise Lodge it was time again for KCC Cyclones. This week Andy B and I shamelessly copied some of Dean's coaching sessions from muddy marvels. The kids really got stuck in and it was a most enjoyable evening! Meanwhile Fran ran another of her impressive sessions with the little kids. I'm hoping for more of the same tomorrow.


I was struggling for time in the week and despite lovely weather I was unable to go for a bike ride. I did my two runs with the dogs as usual and got a couple of rollers sessions in to keep my bike legs going. On Thursday I managed 35 minutes on the rollers whilst making a toad in the hole for dinner. Who says men can't multitask? All that activity comes at a cost...Lee needs her bed by 8.30pm...I'm lucky if I'm not in bed too by 9!


On Saturday I was able to go out for a group ride with the Cyclasylum. Not a massive ride but very challenging as we  took in Neville Holt and successive hills back through Dingley, Braybrooke and Harrington.



It was great to be out with the group. Banter was high as usual, as was the camaraderie we share. 



Whilst out we discussed the tricky issue of "is it okay to chuck your banana 🍌 skin in a hedge?" Ive always thought out of sight in the undergrowth is probably okay. This article suggests...maybe not! cycling weekly banana skin article . As many people know I'm the sort of person who takes a bag out with me dogwalking just in case there's litter to be picked up. So I want to do the right thing...maybe I'll take the skin home from now on!

This morning it was back to junior Parkrun for more volunteering. Another great turnout saw 80 kids run round Desborough Greenspace.

Later on I headed back on my MTB for a blast on the trails in the woods.


Some of the trails have been disrupted by fallen trees. It's still very rideable though and perfect for a bit of practise away from a dedicated trails centre. For me it was just what the nurse ordered. I was feeling low on energy before my ride and as usual I felt great afterwards.

In between the rides, walks and volunteering I watched Liege-Bastogne-Liege, the oldest of the Spring classics.  Both the men's and women's races were superb and it feels like we're in for a great year of road cycling as we move towards the Grand Tours. More locally its great to see all the club TT races and some of the kids we coach taking on race events.

Happy Pedalling 


No comments:

Post a Comment