Sunday 30 April 2023

More ups than downs

The joys of modern life...I was 5 minutes from finishing this week's blog when it mysteriously wiped itself and I lost the lot!!! Here we go again...this week's blog will start as usual with a family catch up and then some cycling stuff! What we learned this week is that Lee is far from free of Long Covid, my new lifestyle works and cycling lots means lots of repairs!!!



We've had a good week with lots of time for family and friends. For Lee this has been boom and bust in terms of energy levels. On Wednesday she had a good day with her Mum, Aunt and Cousins. However this caught up with her at a family meal on Thursday when she rapidly hit exhaustion.

I knew our Saturday with good friends Martin and Vicky would be good so I did everything I could to help Lee rest on Friday. Im lucky that my new lifestyle allows me to do this. Then yesterday Lee and Vicky went for afternoon tea whilst Martin and I had a proper man lunch followed by a trip to the pub! It was a great day. Predictably Lee is shattered again today! It's not even 7pm and she's already in bed. Lee says that sometimes this boom and bust is worth it and at others it's not. It's a learning process! To help me recover from my long days Niamh took me for breakfast in the pub!



On Tuesday I went for an overdue gravel ride with Ian aka Clint Bhoodist.


He's a like minded person with a similar outlook so the miles flowed by. We headed out on The Brampton Valley Way to Market Harborough and then by tow path to Foxton Locks.


From there we circled back to Harborough where we had a pitstop at Wesses bakery. We set the world to rights over sausage baps!

 
After that we cycled home via Harrington. It was a beautiful ride on a beautiful day. I very much look forward to doing it again!

On Thursday it was time for another RFW mountain bike ride. Having had issues the week before I checked my rear brake and it seemed okay. However as soon as I started the ride my brake failed completely...it was long overdue for bleeding...lesson learned (probably!)


We seem to attract mechanicals so Giles had to use a cx bike. I do approve of his socks though. (For balance we all arrived by car, these were a joke present!)


As ever it was a great ride around the woods, led by Alan. I still enjoyed myself just would have preferred a back brake! 


On Tuesday I had to replace a rear mech cable. Today I did the hydraulic bleed on my MTB. I'd not done this before but as with all repairs there was a good you tube video to help me. It's quite a satisfying job. I went for a test ride afterwards and my bike definitely stops now! I enjoy fixing my bikes nearly as much as riding them!

I made many big decisions this year. The work one appears to be working. I have plenty of appointments, I enjoy it and I no longer have a relentless inbox. Another decision was to become a first claim member at Rockingham Forest Wheelers. The club is fantastic with a range of cycling activities and a good social scene. There is a real team feel. My new working pattern has opened up the Tuesday and Thursday morning rides. I can't join the Wednesday evening TTs but then they're not my favourite way to race a bike. The Friday Night Summer Series starts next week where RFW will be strongly represented, we are also putting lots of pairs into the Marston mega cross event. It looks like we will have a good summer!

Happy Peddling



No comments:

Post a Comment