Sunday 2 April 2023

All the mod cons...

 


The blog this week is thankfully devoid of drama. I'll do a quick family catch up and some cycling stuff. The theme for this week's blog is the benefits of modern technology plus the first world problem of having access to amazing stuff!


I really should have an excellent family photo this week but somehow whilst we were all out together on Friday night I didn't take any pictures! So instead imagine the empty sofa above is packed with family Lindsley as it often is. If you're wondering why I took a picture of the sofa...I steam cleaned it and wanted a before and after shot to see what difference it made! Lee this week is no better and no worse. She had a fabulous day spending her birthday money and vouchers in Milton Keynes and then straight after we went to the Comedy Club at The Red Lion. Niamh organised us a splendid table and a great night was had by all! 


Being on her feet all day on Friday followed by a night out has predictably taken it's toll on Lee and she has spent the rest of the weekend in bed! This is life with Long Covid! Lee knew this would be the case and views a crash weekend as worth it for a very nice day!


I posted the above photo on social media and I must apologise to those who still believe I did an outdoor swim, bike ride, run and dog walk before 09.00. It was April the 1st and I love a good April Fool! It has been pointed out that it's me and it wouldn't be the greatest surprise if I'd actually done this...maybe one day I will! Other splendid examples on the day were the Leicestershire Cyclocross League and Northampton Saints! 





From the #NHS1000miles community there was a tale of familiar woe. Marcelle and Shiv did an epic 50km walk only for Marcelle's Strava and Garmin to credit her with just 49.72km! Those extra 0.28km make all the difference to us data obsessed active people...many times I have ridden or run a bit extra just to make sure that my apps don't sell me short. There is nothing worse than a 99.9 mile bike ride!!! Or is there? This paired with Tony Warne's blog - Life Through a Different Lens it made me think how spoiled we are by modern gadgetry, especially those powerful smartphones! Tony's blog is always a good read and this week discusses his Dad's love of photography and how much that has changed through the years. The smartphone has completely changed how accessible photography is to us all. In the old days it was point, press and hope that something reasonable came back from Boots (other film developers were available...) More importantly congratulations to Marcelle and Shiv...your feet will know you did 50k!!!

What the flippetty flip flops is that Dad???

People my age will know the gadget above was the only way to track your distance at one point in cycling history. My first 100 mile ride was at the age of 14 but as I couldn't record this on Strava did it really happen? I didn't even have one of those mile counters and the only way I even think it was 100 miles was because I planned it on an ordnance survey map, measured it with a piece of cotton and then did some maths to work it out from the scale! Now you can get your smartphone to do it for you but many of us prefer bike computers like Garmin or Wahoo. You don't even need to plan the route or know where you're going...just follow your device!

These kids, are maps!


But is life really better this way? Erm..yeah it is but with a few downsides. Before tracking apps all you had to go on was how it felt! Did you enjoy that ride? If yes it was a good one, if no it was a bad one! Now we're looking at heart rate, average speed, cadence, watts etc...every morning I check my body battery on my Garmin watch to find out how I'm feeling! Surely we were happier when life was simpler!


This week I got out cycling 4 times. This new way of life really is magnificent! Today I needed 40km to complete my weekly target. So I had a ride out on the road via Naseby and Brixworth seeing lots of spring things on the way like daffodils and lambs! It was just lovely to be out!

This way to the mud!

On Thursday morning I was lucky enough to join the RFW mountain bike ride at Wakerley and Fineshade Woods. I love that I can do things like this on my weekday mornings. I still had work that day but not until the afternoon. Because it has been wet the trails were really heavy so just 15 miles was still very tiring.


I was also able to get out on Tuesday morning. as it was cold and wet I didn't really feel like a road ride so I took my cyclocross bike for an offroad spin.

You have to love a bridge picture

look at the lovely trails...

I took a well tested route from Harrington to Arthingworth and then down the Brampton Valley Way to Hanging Houghton. I then went back to bridleways from Lamport through to Mawsley. One bridleway which was brilliant last year is now a horrible ploughed field. So for fellow off roaders avoid this bit.

un-ride-able - between the byway off Mill Lane and Mawsley!




On Monday I went for a quick ride around my regular training route I call it Standard 17. I used to do this at 6am before work but life has changed a lot since then. It's still a really nice route for a quick ride.


No daffodils were harmed by a Giant Propel

Front to back: Timmy, Bruce & Charity

As well as some good cycling I've been out for daily dog walks with my crazy pack. I've also managed 3 5k runs. 




In elite cycling I'm really enjoying the Spring Classics. Today's Tour of Flanders was a brilliant race. It's great that we can now enjoy footage of these races in the UK. Hopefully one day I'll get out to one of the monument races, preferably in Belgium. Apparently there was a dedicated beer today for each of the climbs in the Tour of Flanders, each beer selected has a strength equal to the gradient of the climb...so there's 12% beers in there - I love my Belgian ales but I do know that 19 of them will not end well!

It's a big week ahead with Sam's 18th birthday and then a few days off for Easter!

Happy Pedaling
















No comments:

Post a Comment