Sunday 13 June 2021

It REALLY is SUMMER!!!

Usual process, update on Lee followed by some cycling stuff!


Lee is feeling much better this week. The antibiotics have done the trick and her recovery is back on track. Don't be fooled though we still have a long way to go. She still needs her Nanna naps, gets out of breath easily and mostly feels tired! Twice this week I have had to help her up after a fall. This week Lee also missed her long covid yoga class because she overslept! However she also managed to go out with friends to bingo on Friday! People continue to visit and be very kind, I'm not sure I'll get the chance to buy her flowers for a few months yet!


On Monday I went back to coaching Cyclones after a 3 week break. I needed the break but it was also good to be back. The session was led by former Cyclone Charlie Stockham. He did a great job!

The Wednesday night time trials at Rockingham have switched to 20 miles for a few weeks and combined with other things it doesn't quite work for me! Lucky for me though KCC run a Thursday night TT. So I went there instead. Both rides are only a 20 minute spin from my house and on a beautiful evening I set off to sign on in Old. 

13 is our lucky number so I was delighted to get it for the race. It's traditional to wear 13 upside down...so I did. 3 of our Cyclones, plus other associated adults also took part.  Just like at Rocko it was nice to be amongst friends. The course itself is a 10.1 mile, out and back from Lamport to Rothwell and back. I'm still new to TT and had never tried this course before. I got to half way at 13 minutes and thought I was on for a good time. However I don't yet have the fitness to maintain that pace and faded on the way back to a 30.27. Pretty much the slowest on the night but not disappointing. It's just another target set to improve on!


I've done my two 5k runs this week and I can say my Friday run was very heavy legged after TT the night before!


On Saturday I met the Cyclasylum in Loddington for a 42 mile spin. Not everyone was there because some of the club were riding to Hunstanton and back in one day. I'm impressed by my cycling friends but as I've said before, I ticked off 200 miles in 2015 and have been thoroughly cured. I like to do at least one 100 mile ride a year but no further than that. So Steve, Andy, Neil, Mark, Ashley and Paul...chapeau! I hope the fish and chips were good!


The rest of us had a lovely ride on a stunning Summer day. We headed out towards Stafford via Kelmarsh, Naesby and Cold Ashby. The downhill section after Cold Ashby was particularly fun!


The banana 🍌 break took place outside Stanford Church, on the edge of Stanford Hall grounds. This 16th century mansion is described as the perfect "William and Mary," stately home! Of greatest note is that a Victorian aviation pioneer, Percy Pilcher  built gliders here. In fact Percy built a powered aircraft that he was due to test but before he got the chance he was killed in a glider crash. Had he been successful he would have beat the Wright brothers to recording the first powered flight. His invention has been tested since then and it's likely that it would have worked!!! That all feels fitting, as we later cycled past the glider club between Welford and Sibbertoft AND shortly after that the Red Arrows flew over!


In Welford I spotted this statue of Postman Pat. Apparently this is the 2020 version that replaced a previous wooden statue. I have no idea if there's a connection, just that the old statue was much loved and when it rotted away locals funded a replacement.



Before we knew it we headed up the hill to Harrington and I hoped we could get a pint in the Tolly but unfortunately we were too early. So I said my fairwells and headed home. We'd had some racing for signs and this was enough for me with Dartmoor Classic next weekend!

This morning I volunteered at junior Parkrun and my job was barcode scanning. It's always a fun job and as usual there's a lot of satisfaction from volunteering. 

It's looking like a big summer of sport. Test cricket is back, the football Euros have started, the Olympics is coming. Next up for cycling is the Tour de France! I can't wait!

Happy Pedalling 😊 

No comments:

Post a Comment