Sunday 7 March 2021

Back to work, Queen of Cakes update and a bit of cycling...

It's been another emotional and rewarding week; I returned to work, Lee continues to recover well, the dogs have been well walked and although less than last week, I got some bike miles in.


So Lee has made fantastic progress over the week. She has been able to stand, take a few steps and is now able to eat a normal diet. On the day her swallowing was given the all clear, all she wanted was an orange. A member of nursing staff gave her one from her lunch box! Then they all went on a mission to find as many oranges as possible. The care Lee received at Boston Pilgrim Hospital was excellent. Often we'd be talking on WhatsApp video and they'd come in and say hello. Lee left Boston today and has moved to Isebrook Hospital. The bed she is in, is part of Northamptonshire Health care NHS Foundation Trust,  which we both work for. When Lee was told she needed a rehab bed, but they were unsure who to contact, I emailed a colleague and it all got sorted from there! I have dropped stuff off at the unit  you still can't visit but I talked to staff and it appears to be a lovely place which will help Lee a great deal. 


My return to work was lovely. I have never felt so appreciated in my life. Everyone made me feel welcome, they got Lee and I a brilliant hamper of goodies. I probably spent 50% of the week talking about Lee but I also got a lot of work done too. I also feel better to be doing my bit for the NHS.

Being back at work limited my opportunities to get out on the bike especially as I walk the dogs every morning. I do enjoy my dog walks too!


So this week I've had two outside rides and a rollers session


On Saturday I got out a bit later than expected. I was defrosting our pesky freezer and it took way longer than expected. Whilst waiting I watched Strade Bianche on GCN+. What a race! I think I have had my moneys worth already. When I did get out I took my propel and went on a bit of a backwards route. First up I went up the hill to Loddington.


I decided to take church pics from a distance. I headed from Loddington to Old down my favourite road, Mill Lane.


Then I went up to Lamport, round to Draughton, Harrington and home. On the way out of Harrington I was going at good pace so felt a bit miffed when two cyclists caught me up. Then I saw it was Josh Brown, a very talented young man and I wasn't so bothered. Great to see the former Cyclone out and about!

Harrington


Today I set out to do a couple of hours whilst Lee was travelling from Boston to Wellingborough. I decided to check out the Naesby battlefield but early on my legs and in fact my heart wasn't in it at all!

Clipston Church

Fairfax's view

obelisk commemorating the battle

As soon as I decided to head home my legs picked up! Clearly I was worrying about Lee's transfer and I just wanted to be home. My motivation peaked when an ebike overtook me on the hill out of Kelmarsh. I caught up with the rider and had a good chat before getting into a really good pace home. I think I probably averaged about 13mph for the first 2/3rds of the ride and about 20mph for the last third. Legs are funny things. I've done blogs before about the battlefield site. If your interested in more check out the battlefield website   https://www.naseby.com/

So its a short and sweet blog this week. Big shout out to all my cycling friends getting good miles in. There seems to be a real surge in distance on Strava so kudos to all the lycra loonies!

Happy Pedalling 








No comments:

Post a Comment