Sunday 31 May 2020

Lockdown lifting but still riding solo!

Another week of these bizarre times has passed and it seems we may be able to meet friends and family a bit more from tomorrow. This week for me though has been much like last week. I have been for a run on my own, been out on my bike alone, had another ride with Sam and we've had another Corby Capers quiz.

Things are also progressing at home as the Queen of Cakes continues to use her 12 weeks of enforced shielding to work on the house. The garden is her latest project and this is my favourite addition so far!






Nothing unusual about this route, it's my regular morning spin. However I'm quite please with a 17.6 mph average. It might not be fast for some but for me it's a sign that my fitness is starting to get there.



The next day I went for my standard 5k run. Unlike my ride the day before this was a slow run for me. I'm really not sure what happened but I have  theory to test next week. I tend to run fasted in the morning. I'm going to experiment with a small breakfast to see if that gives me more spring in my step because I'd never dream of doing parkrun without eating.



On Friday evening Sam asked to go for another ride with me and as he thinks my standard route is fun we did that again!!!






It was lovely to be out on a bike with him and this shows the last ride wasn't a one off. Just need to keep this going. Hilariously Sam just wanted a chilled ride and no KOMs were under threat!



I was a very lucky boy in other ways on Friday. My box of Belgian beers arrived including the stunning Wipers Times. I also had an early Father's Day present; my new barbecue. I have already bought high quality Pipewell charcoal and we will fire it up later today.





Saturday was about exploring and working out what else was possible in terms of off road routes.The ground is now rock hard and I was glad I chose my MTB and not a CX bike.

Lovely Day!


I wanted to work out where I'd gone wrong from Pipewell a few weeks ago and...Failed miserably! This lovely gravel road is not the bridleway and apparently not a public right of way! A farmer kindly pointed out where I'd gone wrong. A shame because this was a nice bit of gravel riding.


Back on track and I once again enjoyed the bridleway through to Cottingham and then onto the Jurassic Way that runs at the bottom of East Carlton Park.


The horses were getting a lot of attention from the many visitors to the park and I had to take it easy through this bit.


I found the bridleway to Ashley and in these conditions it was a real treat. It's mostly ploughed field without ridges so it rode well. However I would not want to attempt this on soft ground.



The bridleway out of Ashley is okay but quite rutted. Again CX wheels would have struggled. It was good riding though and very hilly!


Often on rides like this it's difficult to be confident on trails you don't know. If only there was a sign like this more often! I followed the sign for Brampton Ash and it wasn't the easiest to ride on. After a few ploughed hills and steep hills which were too bumpy to enjoy it opened up into some parkland. I was hoping to find a way from the  A427 across to Desborough airfield. However I couldn't make out the track and there were lots of cows in the fields...I've mentioned before I don't trust them! So I just took the A427 to Stoke Albany and the road back to Desborough. A quick spin through the woods and then home via Shotwell Mill Lane. It was hot, dry, dusty and that's the most tired I have felt from a 20 mile bike ride in a very long time! It was good though. Next time I might go a different way at that 5 way sign.

In the evening we had the Capers quiz hosted by me. I was actually quite nervous because I wanted people to enjoy the quiz. If anyone else would like  go here's the link to the My Quiz web page https://myQuiz.org/q/13ede017-a039-44bc-a243-dfc2d11ccef3. It's a mixture of Tour de France, Giro, CX, Tour of Britain, Women's Tour, Hill Climbing and virtual rides during Covid. Everyone said they enjoyed it and they're not the sort of blokes to say it if they don't mean it. What struck me is that the good folk of Capers have amazing knowledge and even more than that have ridden alongside a lot top riders. It makes me wish I'd taken cycling seriously as a younger man.





Today I was looking for a few hours on the road and once again Brixworth Velo provided me with the perfect route. I hope they carry on creating routes that pass close to Rothwell! This time I decided to go clockwise. I wanted to head to Brixworth first as a kind of psychological trick. Weird things go through your head cycling. For me, if I'd ridden the other way it would feel like a second bike ride home when I got to Brixworth. Judging by the amount of BXV riders I saw, most of them did the route the other way. No idea who gave me the thumbs up from a car or who said hello way back at Foxhall, I'm hoping to find that out at some point!

With the wind behind me and possibly the flatter part of the route I made it through to Cottersbrooke in no time. Then it changed a little. As I approached Haselbech hill my legs tightened and half way up I was not enjoying the climb. However, as is often the case, once I'd done it I felt great and got back to enjoying the ride. 


I love the road from Naseby to Sibbertoft and today it was as nice as usual. After Sibbertoft I usually head to Theddingworth down that very steep hill. As my speed record is 52mph down there, it's probably a good thing I went the other way to Marston Trussell. 



On the hill out of Lubenham I saw these contraptions

Stunning views

Weston-on-Welland

Dingley water tower

There was a real test of the legs at the end of the ride for me. From Sutton Bassett it was uphill to Dingley, then uphill again to Braybrooke and then two more good hills through to Harrington! This would be another good hill training section. As I started that last hill I could see what looked like a recumbent in the distance with something else. I caught them at the top of the hill to find it was a lady on a hand bike and a child on a small horse. No idea who the lady was but I guess she has to be local. Kudos to her on that hill on a hand bike!

I really enjoyed that route and may do that again if I want something that's around 3 hours. 

So next week we can start riding in small groups again although the 2m rule remains so no tight bunches! I have enjoyed the solo rides but I'm also really missing cycling mates. Maybe next weekend it will start to get a little better for us lycra loonies.

Happy Pedalling

No comments:

Post a Comment