Sunday 3 May 2020

Just this week...I promise!

Last week I published a blog that was longer than war and peace covered way too much etc. So this week is just this week. I promise!




As is now traditional in Richard's cycling blog the first activity is a run! I recorded this on my wahoo because I don't trust my lezyne watch or my phone. Well now I don't trust my wahoo! Something odd is going on with gps signals around here. It's something to do with covid, Elon Musk's satellite trains or 5G...

jacket on...it was raining!



I really really reallly couldn't be bothered but dragged myself onto my rollers. Oh well it all counts! More on the malaise later!
This is a bad idea





So I went for another run. For a very good reason! The April covid marathon has raised over £1k for KGH and is doing it all again in May! I decided as I wasn't happy with my wahoo (I'm not saying that in polite company!) So I decided to give the Lezyne another chance...


Well the utter piece of crap below outdid itself...I managed to run an entire 5k without it finding a signal once! Luckily my phone decided to behave itself and I got some data!



Having realised I managed to do the NC14 TT challenge and mess up the strava segment in April I decided I needed at least to register a time in May. So I headed out to the Welland valley.



It truly was a beautiful day but...I was not feeling in the mood at all. I headed out via Desborough and by the time I was heading down the hill into Stoke Albany I was having a lovely time! The surprise here is that this was a SURPRISE! At least 50% of the time that I get on my bike wondering why I'm bothering and then hey presto it feels great!


Once I was on the circuit I put a bit of effort in. There was a head wind from Bringhurst to Medbourne but this became a tailwind on the quickest part of the route from Ashley back to Middleton. I'm really not sure how to pace myself on this yet but I am sure I can make some improvements. No records are under threat!!! I went back up Bringhurst hill for a second time and noted that the defib in the phone box is well placed.

mid ride refuel...thanks to NHS donations I have a box of these!

The view at Wilbarston over the Welland Valley


When I got back from the ride I was greeted by this incredible recovery food. The Queen of cakes had baked Millionaire's shortbread and Millionaire's brownies! Just splendid!

On Saturday evening we had another Corby Capers cycling quiz. No such techno issues this week.  Which is amazing because we used a combination of whatsapp, zoom and slido. Just a shame my cycling knowledge is limited. David Wilson was the quiz master this week and he promised me lots of Sven Nys questions. He lied! The only tenuous Sven link was what bikes do Telenet-Fidea use? Sven Nys owns that team...there's a clue in the picture below and despite competing as both myself and Marco Panini in a multi-guess quiz (so doubling my chances of a correct guess!) I got that question wrong! I wouldn't mind but I'd actually done some revising to make sure I knew some Sven Nys stuff...HOWEVER this was superb fun! Many thanks to David. I look forward to this week's winner Hans hosting next week's event!

Oh yeah...TREK!

As part of the quiz we had a question relating to Beryl Burton. Way before Boardman, Wiggins,  Cav, Pendelton, the Kenny's, the Yates brothers, Dave Brailsford, Team Sky, lottery funding and all that jazz we had an amazing cyclist in Britain and she does not get the credit she deserves. Check out the facts and figures here Beryl Burton






I decided to do something different today and take my MTB out instead. I headed out to the trails at Desborough Greenspace which are usually good fun. However when I got there I didn't stay too long. It was quite busy with kids already riding it. The trails are not in a good state! There's a lot of trees down and repair is underway. There was a kid with a spade making new jumps. He was putting the gaps back in which I'm a bit wary of. I prefer tabletops with the option to jump or roll. However it is good to see that someone cares about the trails. I rode the bits that are still ride-able and then headed off for something else.


The old Harrington Road was fun a usual, it's great when you can get a clear run at that bit of downhill and then I headed back home. Just a quick off road spin to round off the weekend!


Can I have 'U' for this please?

That's it. Just a short and sweet blog as promised this week!

Happy Pedalling




No comments:

Post a Comment