Sunday 23 January 2022

Making up for lost time...


This time last year was hell. Lee had just been sedated and intubated and Níamh had a thoroughly inadequate 18th birthday. At the same time I had a couple of rough days with Covid19 and even if all of that wasn't going on...the whole country was in lockdown anyway!

As ever the blog will start with a family update and then move to cycling. Stay for as much as you want, I'll mark the split in bold.

Let's get the rough stuff out of the way. My father in law is hanging on in there. This week he has had a bed delivered for downstairs and chemo has finished. Hopefully more comfort and less poison makes the world feel a bit better.


The best decision I've made recently was to take Friday off. This was Níamh's 19th birthday and we were determined to make up for last year. The plan was to go out for lunch but Níamh had been out with friends in Nottingham and overslept. Everything is apparently her boyfriend Olly's fault and as per usual the man with the patient of a saint took the blame for them missing their train! The whole thing worked out quite well for me as I was able to get out on my bike!

poor Olly

When I got back Níamh was home and celebrations began. She had great fun opening her presents.some of this had to take place by facetime as our oldest son, Joe, has unbelievably tested positive for Covid19, luckily he is totally asymptomatic. In the evening we had a superb Thai Gardens take away with my parents and Sophie but Sam had to wait for his as he works until 10pm at Waitrose. He missed out on playing Cards Against Humanity with Big Dave and Nanny Chris. This was beyond funny but also a bit disturbing. I will never be able to unhear the things my Mum said!

What's in the box?

Sam made it home in time for cake!


During the day Lee and I had some time to talk. We did a lot of reflecting on the past year. There was the odd tear too. It's what we need. Right now Lee is exhausted. As ever it was important that everyone had a good day and she put others before herself to her own cost.

Switching to cycling now...

It's flipping freezing isn't it! As a result I still haven't ridden to work. My quest for 1000 miles of exercise in 7 weeks continues. Many of these are indoors on the rollers. However I did manage 165 miles this week, 85 of these were proper outdoor cycling miles!

On Friday I adapted a version of one of my favourite routes into the Welland valley. This route contains some good climbs and some great scenery.

Banana 🍌 overlooking Eyebrook Reservoir

Medbourne

Harrington


On Saturday I met up with the Cyclasylum riders as usual at Kettering swimming pool. It was cold but there didn't seem to be much ice so we decided to ride. Andy P cheered us all up by describing the route over from Denford as sketchy. 

We headed off with the usual banter and chat drifted towards the latest series of Afterlife. There was a lot of unrepeatable quotes and a lot of laughing. I pity anyone who overheard us.


The day seemed to get better and better. We headed to Guilsborough in glorious sunshine. I'll let the pictures do the talking...


From Guilsborough we went over to Cottersbrooke and then up that monster hill to Haselbech.


After recovering from the climb it was a fast run in back to Rothwell. The group was heading to the Fox and Peony cafe and then doing a few more miles. I decided to take advantage of getting home early and got some overdue jobs done.


Sunday morning started with Parkrun duties and this week it was my turn as run director. Everything ran really smoothly and it was a pleasure to be part of!


I needed 10 miles to hit my 130 mile cycling goal for the week. So having done road rides for two days I decided to get my MTB out.


I went to Prologis Park via Rushton and then through Weekley Woods to Geddington.

I then rode back to Weekley Glebe and round the back of Brambleside.


Having done a lot of miles this week, that was enough for me and I made my way home. It was great to use my Forme Ripley again. I forget how much I like this bike when I don't use it for a while.

That's it for this week.

Happy Pedalling 



No comments:

Post a Comment