Sunday 16 May 2021

Mixed week for Lee, much better week for fitness

You know the drill. The first bit is Lee's post covid19 recovery. The rest is my cycling blog with a bit of running.

So Lee hasn't had further episodes of Tachycardia. That's great except the beta blockers are causing her hair to fall out! When you're already not feeling that great about yourself, that  really is an unnecessary twist of the knife! There's some other irritating bits too. Lee's lungs are not strong yet which means she has an inadequate cough! She says its like she wants to cough from her chest but she can only cough from her throat. To help with that Lee has signed up to a post Covid19 yoga class following a recommendation from my friend Matthew. Anyone else in Northamptonshire who wants to sign up, message me, I'll send you the link. Today we went to Specsavers because Lee's eyesight detiorated further whilst she was in ITU. I think I may have rolled my eyes when she was told today that her eye test wasn't due yet! That was cleared up quite quickly. Later we went to get Lee's 2nd vaccination at Moulton. I got mine two days earlier at the same place. That was bad planning wasn't it! The vaccination centre is really well organised and staffed. Each time I've been I've met someone we know. Today it was our old friend Sandra!

Lee continues to walk and exercise daily and this is going well. She does still get out of breath quickly. What's really come back this week is reading! Books are being read at a rate of knots and the kindle is back in Lee's hands! She has also started baking again. This week its muffins! So it's not perfect but there is also plenty to be positive about.


On Monday it was back to coaching with the Cyclones. During the session one of Kettering's urban red kites gave us quite a display. As ever it was great to spend time coaching kids cycling. However I've also recognised that pressure on my time is causing stress. So I'm going to take a couple of weeks off from coaching and then come back with fresh ideas!


On Wednesday Sam was otherwise engaged so he couldn't ride in the Rockingham Forest Wheelers time trial. So I took this opportunity to volunteer to Marshall. Its always good to give back!


On Thursday I managed to do another rollers session whilst making toad in the hole. It's the perfect meal to make in between interval sessions. Burning off the calories beforehand also softens the blow of this most magnificent comfort food!

My traditional workout time was in the morning before work. I was able to do this because my inlaws walked the dogs. However there's more than one thing going on for our family and now I walk the dogs in the morning. I do enjoy walking the dogs and the recent rain has caused an explosion of green in the countryside. 

Twice a week I run with the dogs. Charity runs on a running lead and Bruce just trots along with us! Charity was well into her running on Friday and was pulling me along for the first mile. With parkrun coming back soon this is good training for us both!

On Saturday it was time to get some proper cycling miles done. On a drizzly morning I met up with the Cyclasylum for a group ride. The planned route was 42 miles and its about another 10 miles round trip to Kettering. With only 10 more  miles need for a 100km Gran Fondo on Strava I decided it was about time I got that ticked off for May. In fact its the first Fondo I've managed this year! Normally I'd have done a few by now...2021 is rubbish!

We headed south out of Kettering, through Cranford, Addington and Ringstead onto Raunds. Marcus (pictured,) and I started racing for village signs and before you knew it Steve also joined in. My theory was I needed a big workout due the Dartmoor Classic being only 5 weeks away. 


We paused at a regular banana 🍌 stop near Rushden and as usual banter was  flowing. We quickly got cold so it really was chomp and go.


We worked our way round to Woolaston where the traditional photo had to be taken. Then onto to Grendon and Earls Barton. Some of the group stopped for coffee at White Mills Marina but I decided to press on, because I wanted my fondo and because I always tighten up during a break. After quite a flat few miles, the hill up to Earls Barton was hell! I dribbled up it, way behind the others, knowing I was paying for all that sign racing! Just to let you know, most of the rest of the group had been sensible and not joined in! However not long after that we were on the fast straight to Little Harrowden. This was an absolute blast. Paul won the race to the sign which was well deserved as he'd dragged me back to Bruce and Steve in front. I must point out, we were riding fast but not reckless. All of this was done safely! As we waited for people to catch up in Little Harrowden my legs were shaking from sprinting. After Orlingbury we split up further with Richard and Marcus helping me to Broughton. From there I needed 17 miles and due to that impending hilly sportive in June,  I decided to make it as hilly as possible. So I rode through Cransley onto Loddington and then round to Harrington and onto Desborough before heading home! It was a great ride and having done it I feel more confident about the Dartmoor Classic. Let's hope that Indian variant doesn't ruin everything!

This morning it was time for marshalling duties again at Desborough junior parkrun. 102 kids ran today which is great, especially as that was my exact guess on the "just for fun," sweepstake! I'm building towards a big day as my first time as Run Director will be on the 30th of May!

Due to taking Lee to appointments I didn't have time for much cycling today. So I decided on a run instead. As I'd also not done a 10k run this year I decided to tick that off too. My legs were not impressed though. Clearly they were suffering from cycling yesterday and I was very slow 🐌. I'm not that bothered though. It's said that pace is less important than distance!

I hope others have caught the elite cycling on tv today. The Giro d'Italia was amazing with Bernal at the finish on gravel. The best bit of the day for me was the Mountain Bike World Cup. In the women's race Loana Comte is now the French lady to beat with Britain's Evie Richards finishing a very creditable 5th just behind Pauline Ferrand Prevot. In the men's Tom Pidcock stole the show, winning by over a minute to 2nd placed MVDP! Quite the result and as this qualifies him for the Olympic race! Exciting times for British Cycling.

Happy Pedalling 

No comments:

Post a Comment