Monday 28 December 2020

Superb Christmas 🎄 of Cycling

Well Merry Christmas to everyone reading this blog. I've been lucky enough to get plenty of rides in and even though I won't complete the #Festive500 it's been a very rewarding time. Back to work tomorrow 😪. 3 days in and then 3 more days off! 

The action started with a cyclasylum group ride on Christmas eve. Having thoroughly learned my lesson from  the other day I turned up with seconds to spare to join the ride. Following the most persistent day of rain we spent much of the ride dodging floods.

We were in two groups and soon made it to Thrapston which was thankfully still above water. With my winter road bike out of action I was on my Forme Calver CX, the bike I used for the entire Christmas period because...well it's a great bike. I had to work harder than my group mates due to those knobbly tyres. This has to be good training right?

Titchmarsh 


Lilford 

Oundle

We had some floods to ride through but mostly the roads were dry if a little messy. We made our way back to Brigstock where an idea formed as others debated the best flood dodging route back to Kettering. I was on my CX so I thought...Geddington Chase...why not? I said my goodbyes and headed off road.

Common Buzzard?

only a bit boggy

lovely old tree

The chase was not exactly rideable. It wasn't exactly impassable either! I had so much fun slipping and sliding to the foot of the hill. The path up through the chase had turned into a stream and this was the grippiest line up hill. Then it all got easier into Geddington.


At the Ford a fire engine was pumping flood water back into the swollen river. It looked like they were practising for the Geddington Squirt, an annual event between Kettering Fire Brigade and the Geddington Volunteer Fire Service. This is another thing ruined by covid!! The squirt was made famous by James Acaster on Would I Lie to You. WILTY James Acaster

On Christmas day I was able to get out for my traditional ride. Just my standard 17 mile spin...it was good to be out but a bit sketchy in places due to ice.

Once safely home I put some Christmas presents to good use. First up I used the Christmas muc off to give my Calver a good clean. Then I got back into my Ride for Charlie Big Bobble hat.




On Boxing day I wasn't taking any risks and actually got to K Town swimming pool car park with a few minutes to spare. We opted for a 10am start to ease those Christmas hangovers! Justin planned a superb route out to Creaton via Rothwell, Naesby and Cottersbrooke. Then it was back home via Brixworth, Scaldwell, Old and Loddington.


I started my morning with the breakfast of champions, boxing day trifle and my ride mates joked that I had mulled wine in my camelbak. I also forgot my phone so its lucky we went back past my house!!!



As I headed back to Loddington another thought struck...take the old road under the A14 and onto Violet Lane. However it wasn't quite as I remembered and I got a bit lost. Luckily some kind shooters, possibly worried they'd blast me, directed me into the Woodlands Hospital car park. From there I got back on track. Whilst doing that I got a KOM, well more like I stole it accidentally from Mark Skinner!


On Sunday I had a rest day but managed to pick up my new cyclasylum winter jersey. We've ordered these superb Gabba style jerseys from Hans at Vanelli and we're all really pleased. Of course I was nearly late meeting Mark to collect them...too busy fiddling with bikes and writing a quiz for tonight! Cheers to Mark for his patience and sorry again!!!



Today we opted for an off road ride. Andy P was going to plan things but has a close call at home with the current river level so I volunteered to do the planning. So I wasn't late we started in Rothwell! 


The plan was to stick to gravel as we suspected the fields would be heavy going. At Harrington we couldn't resist the bridleway to Arthingworth and as suspected the fields were...heavy going!!! Once in Arthingworth the need for mud was cured and we headed to the Brampton Valley Way. 


Like another recent ride we followed the BVW to Merry Tom Lane where I met the same person I'd seen last time! Totally unplanned, there was Helen!!!

From there we took a spin around Pitsford before taking a road route home. It was absolutely freezing but as ever great fun!

As I've said it's back to work tomorrow so that's it until NYD for outside rides. I'll try to get some rollers in but apart from that my cycling is done for 2020. 3000 ish miles done, it will sound a lot to some and not so much to others. Some of my cycling friends have done twice that and more. Anyway here's to 2021.

Happy Pedalling 
















No comments:

Post a Comment