Sunday 12 July 2020

Another great weekend of cycling and a special feature: favourite ride photos


This weeks blog features a couple of rides, a tubeless update and some very special guest photos! Let's get to it!

After the embarrassment of my tubeless fail and concurrent lack of the necessary kit I set about making sure all of my bikes were sorted out. I started with problem; that rear tyre on my MTB.


First job was to replace the rim tape. Clearly I'd gone jungle fix last time with duck tape!


This swalbe specific rim tape is the right stuff 


Tyre back on, loads of sealant in!


It's really important you don't lose that valve core. I remove them because you can get air in quicker to seal the rim.


The trusty lemonade bottle, mole grip, track pump set up.


All sorted!

I did all that before work on Monday morning as I wanted my MTB for coaching the Cyclones on Monday evening. I then put fresh sealant in all my tubeless tyres. This was not happening to me again!!!


After a bit of a quiet week riding wise it was Saturday again and time for another group ride. We met up in the swimming pool car park and headed out into the Welland Valley. Again it was a big group, so in accordance with guidelines we headed out in groups of six.

Rushton hill was a warm up for what was to come.  We then made our way through Pipewell and onto East Carlton, through Middleton and up Bringhurst Hill. 


On the infamous Neville Holt climb all ideas of separate groups dissolved briefly as everyone took it at their own pace. There was a regathering and reorganise at the top before that lovely descent into Medbourne. The groups got a bit split up again heading towards Glooston. Thankfully Mark Baird was dragging me along and then we picked up Justin to make three. Then we lost Mark but Rob appeared from behind a hedge and we were a different three. With a breeze behind us and less hills we flew through the Langtons and on to Ashley. 


Things slowed down a bit up the hills through Stoke Albany and on to Desborough. Then it was a loop back round through Pipewell and Rushton, through to Glendon and our coffee stop at the Fox and Peony.

we were more socially distanced than this picture suggests

Over the coffee we discussed the dreaded cramp. Bruce told me he had started using a magnesium supplement and it has really helped. Then he gave me some to try on my next big ride. Top bloke - cheers Bruce!


On Sunday I had no takers to join me for an off road ride so I headed out solo. I didn't really have a firm plan, more a rough idea of where to go.


There was no way I was going out without all the right kit. It's a bit weird really that I was caught unprepared last Sunday. At work they refer to my rucksack as Hermione's bag. Everyone knows, if you need something, ask me I probably have it in my bag! Anyway this week I made sure I had a spare tube, pump, multi-tool, tubeless repair worms and a pair of pliers in case I needed to get a tubeless valve off! I was also relieved to see despite some big sealant bubbles on the tyre I'd barely lost any pressure since Monday.

pressure

Sealant bubbles


Track from Rushton to Pipewell

Oh look there's Matt P in Desborough Greenspace

Bridleway heading towards Arthingworth

same...it's a lovely track!

still the same

cows!!!

I was in two minds heading into Arthingworth; either go back up to Harrington or down to the Brampton Valley way and through the Kelmarsh tunnel. Then I saw the cows standing on the bridge which is part of the bridleway and my decision was made for me. Tunnel it was...then there was also cows in the field heading to the Brampton Valley Way. These were not trouble as they were not on the track...the same could not be said for the numerous cow pats I rode over!!!


I left the BVW and headed up to Maidwell. On the other side of the A5199 there's a lovely road which becomes a gravel track and then a well trodden bridleway. I turned right at Bluebell Lodge and headed up a steep hill to a spot dedicated to it's former landowners. A stunning view was worth the steep climb.


From there I doubled back to the gravel roads that eventually lead to Hanging Houghton. Heading back up the hill I was overtaken by two blokes on ebikes. I like to see this. Those clever inventions have opened up the countryside to people who might otherwise struggle. We had some banter, I said I hoped their batteries ran out, they asked if I needed a tow!


This bench is clearly a place of reflection. A lovely view plus behind it there's a gate with little brass plaques on it. 


At the top of the hill I went across the road and behind Lamport Hall. Another field had signs of cows but I went through without seeing them. Beware of the bull on the gate! I'd outfoxed the bovine beasts this time!

Well that's the rides. Now for the pictures. I'd asked people to send me their favourite ride photos.




Here's mine, I'd ridden my brother in law's bike to Point Lookout, North Stradbroke Island, Queensland, Australia. A kangaroo watched me take this photo!

Mike Corbett on the Col de la Croix de Fer! 





This set of photo's is from Sarah and Steve Hollis and their awesome looking cycling holiday...I don't think they're back yet!

Bairdy on the most fun snow day! Geddington Chase I believe!

The C&D gang at Lord Pendred's French residence

Mark at the monument to Henri Desgrange - first organiser of the Tour de France

Also from Bairdy, the view from L'Alpe d'Huez

Not all views...Mike Deely and the Rocko boys enjoy some quality Belgian Ales in Mol

Mike Deeley and me (right at the back,) before a CX race...this picture says a thousand words!

From yesterday, Nat and Andy P had a ride with Sam P in Yorkshire

Also from Nat, she met some ponies earlier in the week in the New Forest

Richard G conquers Tendre! Big smile mate, well deserved!


I think you'll all agree that's some great pictures. Thanks to everyone who contributed, if anyone else wants to send me a picture then I'll keep adding them every week!

In other news, some more big rides happened this weekend. My ride of the week goes to Gary Carter. 


Look at that average! I can't do that on a short local ride, to smash out 19.2 mph for 180 miles is herculean! Chapeau sir!

Happy Pedalling! 


No comments:

Post a Comment