Sunday 3 February 2019

I really needed that #outsideisfree #offroadcycling #wintercycling #muddytrails

I haven't felt like doing a blog before today in 2019, it's been an absolute nutmungle of a year so far. Today, however, has inspired me as I've been out and about with good friends in the fresh air!




Before discussing today's great ride I need to acknowledge my last CX race of the season at Misterton Hall, Lutterworth. Having been earlier in the season in the Leicestershire league, this was a central league fisxture. On both occasions a fabulous course was created by Dean Barnett in a stunning setting.



Sam went first and rode like a boy who has been exposed to too much bad stuff so far this year. He did try hard but I could tell his mind was elsewhere.



I had a different mindset. I was angry with the world and I rode angry! Initially this robbed my energy but then halfway into the race something snapped and I went as hard as I could. I was gridded 110th which is fair for me in a very good quality field. My final position was 96th and that is a great result for me and a hint of more to come. Bridget Jones diary time again, if I can get my weight down and get myself as fit as is possible then better results will come my way. For now I'm happy with 14 places on my gridding, for the first time I felt like I was in a race and I did a lot of overtaking.Big kudos to the army of kids from KCC cyclones and the big field of coaches/dads in the V40 and V50 races.





This morning I set out for Geddington to meet my C&D Cycles CC friends for an offroad ride in the frosty conditions. Riding towards Bunker Hill I was so cold it hurt. I did however find my towbar cover which I'd lost earlier in the week by leaving it on top of the car!


At Geddington I met Ashley and then the others arrived a few minutes later. Our whole crew included Andy P, Mark C, Ken, Uncle Bob, Nat, Ashley and me. Andy presented me with my own bespoke mud removal device branded the GKN dikstick! It is marvelous and I will not sully such a quality item with bike filth.


The ride was very cold and very icy with Andy P taking a tumble on the track heading to Aldwinkle. This slowed the rest of us up a bit, especially me as up until that point I had been deliberately targeting icy puddles due to the very satisfying crunch. 




Later in the ride we encountered thawed conditions which led to that claggy mud problem. Once again bikes ground to a halt and sticks were employed. We also tried chucking our bikes in a stream!!!


No ride is complete without a puncture and Mark C was unlucky this time. One of the thorns he removed was big enough to use for mud removal!!!

Uncle Bob supplied the sloe gin at this point. As a proven isotonic performance enhancer this was very welcome!



Apart from being cold it really was a stunning day out. I'm so glad I went out. The banter was good and the riding prior to the return of the mud was very nice. Once I'd left the others at Grafton my legs died! Hour long CX sessions and rollers don't prepare you for this kind of grind and it was a real struggle getting home!


Once home the stick took pride of place on the mantelpiece...Mrs L isn't as impressed and I'll need to watch this doesn't accidentally fall in the log burner!

Okay that's it from me. If you get the chance check out the World CX championships highlights, there's been some great races.

Happy Pedaling

No comments:

Post a Comment