Friday 22 June 2018

Last minute too much to say blog...#britishsummer #homeimprovement #needtogetoutonmybike #family

Okay so this is going to be a very quick blog to catch up with the last few weeks which have involved a tiny bit of cycling (comparatively for me,) lots of family time and a house project which is coming together nicely! Oh and who am I trying to kid...it won't be quick!




So way back on the 8th of June my son, Sam, and the other cyclones had a team time trial training session at Leicester Cycle Circuit. With a small group and plenty of coaches this gave me the chance to just go for a spin. I set out to see if I could average 20mph over an hour and then had a a sub goal of not letting Jamie Stockham catch me. I failed on both counts although Jamie was kind enough to say I was getting harder to catch! My average was 19.9mph. That's good for me but just like a cricketer who loses his wicket on 99...it's never going to be good enough. The cyclones meanwhile, coached well by Brian and Roland, had a really good training session. 



On June the 9th I took part in my first ever Parkrun! Yeah I know...running!!! Running on a Saturday when I should be out cycling with my clubmates!!! Well people who've read my blog before will know I do occasionally go for a run. I don't enjoy it as much as cycling but it's still great fun. 


This was a very special Parkrun as it was the designated #NHS70 Parkrun day. All over the country people ran who either worked for or supported the NHS. My Parkrun of choice was Market Harborough. The reason for this is that I was going to run with workmates one of whom lives in Leicester but this didn't work out. Market Harborough is the 2nd closest Parkrun to my house being less than 10 miles from Rothwell. I really didn't know what I was doing so I turned up clutching my barcode looking nervous. A lovely volunteer called Jane helped me and before I knew it I was in a crowd of runners on a start line. It's a great atmosphere. Before we started they asked who worked for the NHS and got us to say hello. There was also a celebration of people reaching milestones. The one person I knew vaguely from work was Anne who got to say she worked for he NHS and celebrate her 50th Parkrun. There was also a runner of the month and things like introducing guided runners. 

Parkruns ask people to place themselves at the start according to the time they expect to run. There are also pace volunteers so people can work out where to start. I estimated that I would take around 30 minutes as this was my first run since November. Well I really underestimated myself and spent most of the first lap overtaking people. On the second lap I overtook the 29 minute pace runner. On the way round the run is really made by enthusiastic marshalls  and all the runners are very friendly. For the last 100 metres I was suddenly being passed by people for the first time...oh yeah finish strong for a good time. So I stretched my legs a little but let's not get carried away and call it a sprint! At the finish line they hand you tag with a barcode and then you get it scanned with your personal barcode and you're done! My official time was 26.06 and I'm pleased with that for a first effort. I'll definitely try one of these again but it's not going to replace cycling...maybe it's an idea for winter days when cycling becomes foolish.





On Monday 11th it was time for a bit more paying it forward with the Cyclones. Sam was off training with the other Time triallers so I helped out with a bit of off road skills training at Prologis Park. This venue is perfect for cyclocross and cross country mountain bike racing. You just have to be mindful of other users, especially dog walkers. It was a beuatiful evening but hey May and June have been ful of those haven't they?


Those ginormous picture dodging Red Kites are also very prevalent here.As ever I didn't get a good photo but the snaps of the venue are okay!






Tuesday 12th of June was a very rare morning this month. I went out on my own before work! This time it was to test those lovely trails in Desborough as a bit of mountain bike training. However I'm not sure what I'm training for because the rest of my life is getting in the way of this years #FNSS XC MTB racing.

Love that bike

Trails are good and dry!

Lovely planned community space

The ride to Desborough is nice too!

Friday the 15th of June was a very big day as it was my Nan's 90th birthday. In between all the DIYSOS we have going on at home I managed to get out with my family including my sister visiting from Australia for a picnic on the Brampton Valley Way. 

Clockwise from the left: Dad, Jayne, Pap, Nan, Mum and Bruce!

When you're 91 these wheels are permissable!!!

The other reason for taking the day off work was to make sure I got Sam to Silverstone on time fro the 9up Team Time Trial. This event, organised by Bicester Milennium Cycling Club has to be seen to be believed. It's three laps of the famous old Grand Prix circuit in teams of 9 where 5 riders need to finish to set a time. There are around 90 teams taking part including handbikes and junior teams. There's a LOT of very expensive carbon on show!!!


Sam is still developing as a cyclist so he doesn't have the speed yet to stay on for three laps (yet...I really mean yet...it's coming!)


The marshalls do a great job and all riders get a standing start. We were really proud of the Cyclones who smashed out a really good time, taking minutes of their time from last year. I think we discussed this last year too but we have had the idea of entering a 'Dad's' team next year. I'm sure the kids could help us with some training!



On Saturday I had a hair transplant. I think I look like a famous person...unfortunately it's Donald Trump. Okay so this was a birthday meal with for my Nan. They started with my sister's hair and then decided I'd look better as a blonde!




On Saturday Sam and I took part in the first ever Cycle4Cransley. Cransley Hospice is for terminally ill cancer patients and on one of the sites where I work. It has a sister unit in Northampton called Cynthia Spencer. Cycle4Cynthia is a well established charity ride/sportive and we all hope Cycle4 Cransley can emulate their success. There's a blog or two in here somewhere from the few times we've done Cycle4Cynthia.


We opted for the 25 mile ride as to date it's the longest ride Sam has done. No doubt about it, he wil be ready for 50 miles next year.


Our C&D Cycles CC leader, Andy Ferguson did a great deal of work for this ride. Just the day before he was putting out the direction signs supplied by another great cycling friend Any Pendred. Completing a trio of things I know about was Mike Deely, who sponsored the event through his company KLM Taxis.


Out on the road we joined with the Crabtree's...but after Sam crashed into the back of Greta we decided to push on alone. Poor Sam got confused between signalling right and breaking. He's not used to group riding so some more training is needed. I very much think the tumble that grazed his knee will be a good lesson though. Sam to his credit got back on. 

Ubiquitous cycling selfie

At Woodford we caught up with the older Crabtree's and George Deely. We then made our way to the glorious cake stop that is Woodford Mill. Better still they do Dirty Chai Latte's, the choice of the discerning cyclist!!!

Cake stop at Woodford Mill

Father's Day cycling socks

From the cafe stop I agreed to look after the older kids. Initially I was racing Charlie Crabtree for village signs but that young man is way too quick for me! For the last few miles I set a pace for Sam and George to draft. They both did exceptionally well to keep up. Then the cheeky blighters sprint finished claiming victory over the old man!!!!


At the end Andy gave me a token for a free pint. With all of his organising it should've been the other way around! It was very welcome!!!

It was also Father's day and I did very well this year. Cheers to Lee and the kids for my Cycology Jersey and matching socks, the fire basket and my traditional toblerone!




Okay...many things beckon. Not least of which is a 100 mile off road ride tomorrow. I've got this blog done because I think tomorrow might need a blog all of it's own...I've missed loads of stuff like mentioning the Women's Tour was in Northamptonshire again.

Anyway must go...stuff to do...Happy Pedalling.




No comments:

Post a Comment