Tuesday 29 May 2018

Too much to name! #roadcycling #cyclocross #mtbracing...club ride, solo, old friends, kids...

I have literally done so much cycling this week I do not know where to start. I've ridden all of my bikes, been in a MTB race, gone for an off roadish spin on my CX, had  great Bank Holiday road ride and have spent time with SuperSam. 





In the week I took the Forme Ripley MTB out for a spin as I've done loads of road riding and not enough MTB to be ready for my first race of the season this week. It was good to get out and as usual I was smiling before I knew it. A bit of woods action was followed with some hill repeats in Rothwell Rec but really it was just another glorious morning to be out on a bike!




The next day I did some rollers whilst Sam practised on the Turbo with the promise of going out together in the morning the next day. I kept my promise and Sam got his first go on his new CX and I took the MTB out again!


We headed out to do pretty much what I'd done a couple of days earlier and Sam coped very well with this.


Looks good on the woodland trail doesn't he!


Sam practising 'deliberately casual.'


Cycling is a soulful sport and Sam is soulfully looking across the skate park and the useful training hill at Rothwell Rec.




On Friday night I made my way to Delapre Abbey in Northampton for Round 2 of the Friday Night Summer Series. This local Mountain Bike Racing series is in it's 27th year but I only discovered it last year. I was really enjoying myself until a crash at Wadenhoe left me with a broken wrist and 12 weeks in  cast. This was my first race back after the accident and naturally I was a little nervous!

This bridge was an excellent feature

After a practise lap those nerves had escalated. Last year the obstacle above was a splash through dip which required a bit of power to get out of. This year there was this bridge...I hate bridges! The other thing I did to myself in 2017 was fall off a bridge in Cannock Chase and break my ribs by landing chest first on my handlebars. The stupid things just get in my head even though this was wider than my rollers which I happily sit on no handed! I really need to stress that there was nothing wrong with the bridge, it was a great idea. The problem is mine!!!

The next obstacle was a short sharp steep climb up a bank. I had three practise goes at it and never made it up once! At this point my internal Spotify started playing Zombie by the Cranberries (other music streaming services are available...just not in my imagination!) It's in your head, in your head, zombie, zombie...

As the race started, despite being a lot fitter than last year and on a better bike, my legs just turned to jelly and I was straight to the back of the field. I knew this was nerves and my internal spotify switched to Radiohead...you do it to yourself you do...you and no one else! I was way off race pace and my choice of lines was also sketchy. However I stuck at it. I closed my eyes and made it over the bridge. Towards the end of the lap I faced that climb and to my astonishment I made it up first time! Apologies to the spectators for my expletives at this point. Later I would see pictures of the really good riders who went up the slope did a jump at the top and then twisted in the air in the direction the need to head after landing! The only issue I had on the course after that was my enduro style bars were too wide to get through one section of trees without bouncing off them.

Check out my heart rate data...MTB racing is tough!


I was passed by pretty much everybody but placing was not my priority this week. I just wanted to survive. I did however enjoy the race in a peculiar way. I checked the results and was unsurprised to discover I was last but one in my age group of the people who finished. I managed four laps where the majority of the field did 5 and the winners managed six. Therein lies my next goal. I want to complete as many laps as he main field. There are gains to be made both technically and fitness wise and of course as previously mentioned...psychologically! 

Big shout out to Stirling Green and his Dad Andy. Stirling is one of our KCC cyclones and he did well on this course. His Dad, despite describing himself as a runner and not really a cyclist, managed the five laps that I didn't. 

Thanks to Northants Outcasts for organising this event. Great course and good marshalling. The FNSS is a very friendly race series. I was in the way really but those super fit cyclists who are at the other end of the spectrum were incredibly patient. Everyone in the car park is chatty too.  I'm really looking forward to next time.

Finally a bit on my bike, the Forme Ripley. I was worried that I would be a bit undergeared without a 42 tooth rear cog on my 1x system. However I had more than enough gears. The bike performed very well. I'm still a little worried about my wide bars but otherwise it's still only the engine that needs work!



On Sunday I put a shout out to say I wanted to take my Forme Calver CX out. My good friend Phil agreed to meet me on the Brampton Valley Way so I set off via Desborough, Braybrook and Market Harborough for that reused railway line to Northampton.


It was another beautiful day in Northants (and briefly Leicestershire,) however the BVW was a mess due to the overnight rain and my beautiful bike was soon very muddy!

I met Phil between the tunnels and we enjoyed a great ride back towards Northampton. Phil and I have similar jobs so it was great to catch up on work, stuff with the kids and all things cycling. 


I left Phil at Merry Tom Lane and we agreed that we needed to do this more often. I was heading up to Pitsford and as Merry Tom is a bit of a climb I wanted to see how it was on my Calver. Without trying too hard I beat my previous PR by a long way. After that I set off around the reservoir and had a surpsise meeting with my FNSS friend Dev. Remember I said the FNSS was friendly? Well Dev and I met in the car park at Marston Lodge. It was good to catch up with him too and I hope to see him racing soon.

Church at Scaldwell

It's fair week in Rothwell...unless you're going to the fair...stay away!


Back home I had a very mucky bike to deal with. A good hose down, soapy water and a brush and then a lube up were the order of the day. It's also easier on a stand. I bought this Aldi £25 special for home brewing rather than bike maintenance but it's quickly become essential for both!


Little things may indeed please little minds. I was hoping this shot would be better though. The hose was causing the wheels to spin and the resulting spray formed a rainbow. My camera phone perhaps wasn't sophisticated enough to catch the full effect.





On bank holiday we put our cycling route in the hands of Heather once again. After the last bank holiday ride where her garmin let us down and we ended up on a mystery tour we decided to let her have another go. This wasn't really like Eddison handing his assistant a second light bulb after dropping the first. Heather just got unlucky last time...right? Well almost right!


My day started with a dog walk and a full cooked breakfast! This was because it's Trinity monday and in the weird and wonderful place I live there's this thing called proc day (proclamation,) which has to be seen to be believed. I'm not local so it's not that meaningful to me, but for my family this is quite an event! It starts with the pubs opening at 6am, a bloke on the horse reading out the Rowell charter, drinking rum and milk, several carefully controlled mass brawls and then a big old booze up. If you want to know more click the link below. The added benefit for me was a proper fuel up before setting out on the ride.


I love these blokes...don' tell them!

Today's group was Heather, Nat, Mark B and C, Andy P, Mike, Si and me. We were joined until our first coffee stop by a young man called Daniel who turned out to not be as young as he looked. Everyone under 30 looks teenage to us oldies! He was good company though and I hope he comes out with us again.

This is not a pervy pic of Nat's bottom...it's a rubbish photo of her bike balls

Image result for bike balls supposed to be a heart

The inventors of the device pictured above believe that it's a glowing heart shape that adds to bike safety. However everyone else thinks that they look like male dangly parts! Nat has some hanging from her saddle and all they cause is amusement.


Our designated cake and coffee stop was at Yarwell Mill Country park. This is a exquisite location would be the perfect spot to stop with a well recommended riverside cafe...which was closed due to a power cut! Not Heather's fault but par for the course on our Bank Holiday rides. We've been to closed cafes before and even failed to find a promised chip shop. I'd like to say we were kind to Heather about this but you know we can't!

miles and miles beautiful villages

Mark's over priced Rapha cap makes it look like his head was sliced off and reattached...they could have done some maintenance whilst they were there!

In Kings Cliffe we unearthed a gem in the Cross Keys Inn. The new owner is hoping to attract cycling groups and will offer discounts. We had fried egg sandwiches (very belgian!) and a coffee for £4.95. Good value I'd say. They also put up with all of our nonsense too. The other person who has to deal with our nonsense is Andy F, our leader stuck back at the shop. We meant to send a well intended 'wish you were here message,' but for some reason we just extended the banter of the group via social media!



This was predominantly a social ride and it was good to see the progress of one of newest riders Si. He has a 100 miler coming up soon and given yesterday's riding I think he'll be fine. The two Marks were in the mood for a bit of a burn up and I tried to keep up with some quicker riding. I managed for a while but there's still a fitness gap. It's closing though boys!

The ride finished back at C&D Cycles for more coffee and some chocolate digestives. I then headed home feeling quite tired after the ride turned into a 70 miler due to some predictable detours!

May Cycling Climbing Challenge logo

All this riding in May has done me some real good. For the first time ever I have completed a Strava climbing challenge of 7500 metres in a month. I have never come close before and for this I have to thank the club for taking me to some great places. I've loved every metre...well perhaps not Rowsley Bar...

Ok that's it for now.

Happy Pedalling





No comments:

Post a Comment