Saturday 28 April 2018

What a difference a week makes or...has Spring unsprung?

Weather wise this week has come as a bit of a shock. Okay so the week before was probably the freak weather for the UK in April. However, after having the world's biggest ironing pile due to the Queen of Cakes getting her entire summer collection back out, I really wasn't expecting to be sat writing my blog with the heating on and the log burner alight.

Image result for freezing cold cycling

Also in contrast to last week it was mostly back to the rollers on workdays. Some people find indoor training boring but I'm not one of those people. I do tend to mix it up with intervals or by setting myself challenges but apart from that I'm just happy to sit and peddle.

Look no hands

On Friday SuperSam and I headed to Leicester for an evening on the new college circuit.

Ready to roll




The main aim of the evening was a training session for the older cyclones who are competing in the Silverstone 9up. It was also a chance for the dad's to have a go on the circuit. I know I've written about it before but this is the first time I've been able to get in a good few full laps. The surface is possibly smoother even than Silverstone Motor circuit. The lack of any road hazards means that a consistent pace is easier to maintain. I'm sure I could easily achieve an average in excess of 20mph on this circuit. My good cycling friend Andy Brown led the training session and the kids worked very hard. The Dad's did a near perfect demonstration of how not to: "team time trial!"

My weekend's cycling was at the mercy of a report deadline I have for Monday which means I definitely have to sacrifice a day off. The weather forecast was awful but when I saw the proposed route for Saturday's C&D Cycles CC group ride my mind was made up. As the route came through Rothwell and due to a late night I decided to join the ride in my home town. 

This was the start of frankly a calamity of errors. It was freezing cold and pouring with rain so I was in full winter kit. It's always more difficult to clip in with over shoes on so I didn't worry at first when I couldn't get my left foot in. Then I also couldn't clip in on the right...at this point I discovered I was not wearing my new road shoes but I had my cyclocross shoes on!!!!

Which are which???

A frantic change ensued with the added panic that I might be late for the ride! Come on though, you have to admit they're very similar looking. Fortunately I made the market square with a few minutes to spare and joined the group as they came through Rothwell. On the shoes...they're just what I needed and more great service and value from C & D Cycles.



The reason I was looking forward to this ride is because I spotted a couple of good hills we don't ride up often...OH MY GOD...I have changed! Normally the highlight of the route for me would be the superfast downhill between Sibbertoft and Theddingworth. However today I was excited about the uphills and specifically the 14% grind known as "Mill Hill Murder!"

This sign does not lie

The weather had clearly put a number of people off so we were in one mixed group. Naturally in such a group, a hill of this lung busting reputation meant a wait at the top for the faster riders. After taking possibly a world record 'comfort break,' the cold started to get to Pete. No matter though he has a special dance for such situations, which is where he went wrong really...he needed winter tights!

There is no scientific evidence this will warm you up

We were delayed setting off from the top of the hill by Ian's wet cold gloves which wouldn't get back on his hands! We rolled off slowly but no one came a long the road so we went back to discover Ian had a bigger problem. There was something wedged in his chain rings which all of our combined efforts just could not budge. Meanwhile Pete started to suffer at worrying levels.

Never a good sight!

Richard G managed to move what ever it was to a point where Ian was happy to carry on. In fact as helpful people of the day go Richard G definitely wins first prize...more to come! The road from there through to Lubenham (near Market Harborough,) is fantastic fast riding. I enjoyed it thoroughly but for others the cold and wet was starting to demoralise. Going this way meant we joined East Farndon Hill at a different place to usual. We still had to ride the majority of the climb though and I wanted to test myself again. So I'm really pleased to say this was one of my handful of PR's for the day. At the top of the hill, someone had a puncture...it was Ian AGAIN! I have no idea what he's done to offend the Gods of cycling but...repent Ian, repent!

N on this occasion can be seen to equal 4

Luckily for Ian, who had just discovered his saddlepack was not present, help was at hand. That 'love them or hate them,' item contained things you might consider essential, like levers, tubes etc. He did however have C02 so at least inflation would be quick. As I said earlier Richard G was the most useful person of the day and even pulled the thorn that caused the puncture out with his teeth! At this point we need to discuss the following equation for determining...how many C&D cycles riders does it take to change an innertube? The answer is N+5. Where N is the number on any given day to ensure the necessary collection of equipment and expertise to complete the job and the + 5 is how many are required to stand around taking the mickey! N is an unknown variable but the + 5 collection of piddle takers is mandatory.

Whilst all of this was happening, Pete started to look incredibly cold again, so we decided to split the group. Then Marcus also started to look poorly so we split the group even further. As our experts neared completion the incredibly handy CO2 was administered...the tyre promptly popped off the rim! With all the CO2 gone the tyre was refitted and then a relay of pumpers got it up to pressure. Finally we were on our way!

We were heading home via the shortest route on roads with an excess of standing water. However we were actually making good time when Graham and then Steve slammed into a crater of a pothole. Steve was alright but a few yards later Graham had a flat!

N + 5 all over again!

Having had some practise earlier I'd say that we were almost slick for this change. Heather had to lend Graham a tube because Ian had already borrowed Graham's. At this point I recalled how helpful Ian had been to me during a 120 mile sportive when it was my turn to puncture. My levers were useless that day and just for good measure I stood on his by accident, breaking it in half! The next time we met we had bought each other new levers without any prior discussion. That's cyclists for you, we will take the mickey but we also look after each other!

So was today a rubbish ride? Well not for me! I'm absolutely shattered but I would do it all again (not tomorrow though, that report really does need writing!) I do feel very sorry for Andy back at C & D Cycles who was waiting for us with cake. I was never going back to the shop but I guess most of the others had planned to do so. However we were all so cold and wet that everyone just wanted to get home. WE WILL make it up to you Andy!

My highlights from around the world of cycling this week include news of extreme athlete Sean Conway who is attempting to break the recorded for an unsupported ride across Europe. Follow his progress here!

Okay that's it for now.

Happy Pedaling

No comments:

Post a Comment